Lindsay - Traveling Sister's Reviews > Everything I Never Told You

Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
54886546
's review

liked it

** spoiler alert ** 3.5 stars - what an intense, dark, thought-provoking book. This will stay on my mind for a long time. I feel a mixture of emotions after finishing this. The telling of the story and writing was excellent. The story itself was very intriguing, but very sad.

My heart broke for the children in the Lee family. What started out as a 'forbidden' love story between Marilyn and James, ended with a death due to unrealistic expectations pushed too far on a child. I was frustrated with James and Marilyn throughout the story for A) pushing their separate (and very opposite) ideals on their daughter, Lydia and B) for basically ignoring their other two children, Nath and Hannah. Lydia had no chance of ever living up to either of her parents hopes and dreams for her, let alone both of them. Marilyn and James feel their hopes and encouragement are what is "best" for Lydia, meanwhile, these pressures create endless confusion, stress and suffocation for her.

While the story itself was very frustrating and sad, the writing was really good and kept me fully engaged from the first to last page.
108 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Everything I Never Told You.
Sign In »

Reading Progress

April 18, 2016 – Shelved
April 18, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
February 19, 2017 – Started Reading
February 19, 2017 –
page 57
19.52%
February 20, 2017 –
page 137
45.07%
February 20, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)

dateDown arrow    newest »

Brenda - Traveling Sister Great review, Lindsay! This is one that I have that keeps getting bumped down my list.


Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister Wonderful review, Lindsay!


Angela M Terrific review, Lindsay. A haunting story,


message 4: by PorshaJo (new) - added it

PorshaJo Nice review Lindsay! This one is one my list and I really need to get to it.


Linda Excellent review, Lindsay! I still think about this family, especially little Hannah--wise beyond her years. Actually, it just occurred to me that a sequel about an adult Hannah would be interesting. I should find another of the author's books, also.


Cheri Wonderful review, Lindsay! I still need to get to this one! Good to know it kept you engaged all the way through!


message 7: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Great review Lindsay.


message 8: by Deanna (new) - added it

Deanna Great review, LIndsay!! :)


Lindsay - Traveling Sister Brenda wrote: "Great review, Lindsay! This is one that I have that keeps getting bumped down my list."

Thank you Brenda! I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on it.


Lindsay - Traveling Sister Kristin (KC) wrote: "Wonderful review, Lindsay!"

Thanks so much KC!! :)


Lindsay - Traveling Sister Angela M wrote: "Terrific review, Lindsay. A haunting story,"

Thank you Angela! You're absolutely right - a very haunting story.


Lindsay - Traveling Sister PorshaJo wrote: "Nice review Lindsay! This one is one my list and I really need to get to it."

Thanks PorshaJo! I'll be watching for your review!


Lindsay - Traveling Sister Linda wrote: "Excellent review, Lindsay! I still think about this family, especially little Hannah--wise beyond her years. Actually, it just occurred to me that a sequel about an adult Hannah would be interestin..."

Thank you Linda! I think this book will stay with me for a long time too. An adult Hannah sequel would be very interesting! :)


Lindsay - Traveling Sister Cheri wrote: "Wonderful review, Lindsay! I still need to get to this one! Good to know it kept you engaged all the way through!"

Thanks Cheri!! Hope you enjoy it!


Lindsay - Traveling Sister Maureen wrote: "Great review Lindsay."

Thanks Maureen!


Lindsay - Traveling Sister Deanna wrote: "Great review, LIndsay!! :)"

Thank you Deanna!


message 17: by Cat (new)

Cat Tutt This was a really great review. The book sounds like it would make me miserable with life, but your review makes it sound as though it might be worth it. I think I saw this one at the library book sale, I'll look again tomorrow and perhaps pick it up!


Lindsay - Traveling Sister Cat wrote: "This was a really great review. The book sounds like it would make me miserable with life, but your review makes it sound as though it might be worth it. I think I saw this one at the library book ..."

Thanks Cat!! It is a very depressing story, but it is told very well, so I would suggest you have to be in the "right mood" to read it. I look forward to hearing your thoughts on it if you decide to read it. Gotta love library book sales!!!!! :)


Susanne Strong Wonderful review Lindsay! I agree that Ms. Ng's writing was very engaging yet the subject of this book was frustrating and depressing. You hit the nail on the head with your review!


message 20: by James (new) - added it

James Another good one to add to my TBR list, thanks!


Lindsay - Traveling Sister Susanne wrote: "Wonderful review Lindsay! I agree that Ms. Ng's writing was very engaging yet the subject of this book was frustrating and depressing. You hit the nail on the head with your review!"

Thanks so much Susanne!!


Lindsay - Traveling Sister James wrote: "Another good one to add to my TBR list, thanks!"

Hope you enjoy it James! :-)


Mary Beth *Traveling Sister* Excellent review Lindsay!


Lindsay - Traveling Sister Mary wrote: "Excellent review Lindsay!"

Thank you Mary Beth!! :-)


Norma * Traveling Sister Wonderful review, Lindsay! I am listening to this one now and I couldn't agree more that it is a frustrating story!


Lindsay - Traveling Sister Norma wrote: "Wonderful review, Lindsay! I am listening to this one now and I couldn't agree more that it is a frustrating story!"

Thank you Norma! I'll be watching for your review! :-)


message 27: by Susan (new)

Susan Interesting! I didn't read your review because it has spoilers and I am thinking about reading this book. This title has gotten some pretty favorable reviews so it's interesting that you were meh on it. I've got Little Fires Everywhere on hold as a first read by Ng and will see how that goes!


Lindsay - Traveling Sister Hi Susan! I seem to be in the minority with my less than 4 star rating. I enjoyed it but didn't love it. It had such a somber tone to it and took me a while to recover from once I finished.


Kathy I think the somber tone, and the impact of the subject matter, were actually central to my 4 star rating. The book was thought-provoking.


Marialyce I am sorry you didn't really enjoy this one as much as I did. Of course there a million other books out there for us to explore. Great review, Lindsay.


JanB Great review Lindsay! I rated it similarly mainly because I was detached for the entire book and didn't buy the ending. (And to be honest I didn't see spoilers in your review!)


Lindsay - Traveling Sister Kathy wrote: "I think the somber tone, and the impact of the subject matter, were actually central to my 4 star rating. The book was thought-provoking."

I agree Kathy - this was a very thought-provoking book! I'm glad you enjoyed it more than I did. :-)


Lindsay - Traveling Sister Marialyce wrote: "I am sorry you didn't really enjoy this one as much as I did. Of course there a million other books out there for us to explore. Great review, Lindsay."

Thank you so much Marialyce!


Lindsay - Traveling Sister JanB wrote: "Great review Lindsay! I rated it similarly mainly because I was detached for the entire book and didn't buy the ending. (And to be honest I didn't see spoilers in your review!)"

Thanks Jan! I felt a sense of disconnect with the characters too. I think part of it was I went into this book expecting something a little different. I still enjoyed it, but didn't love it.
I actually just added on that spoiler alert recently (I read this a while ago) because I worried I had included too much plot detail in my review. I never want to ruin anything for anyone so I figured better safe than sorry! Thanks for letting me know though - I appreciate that!! :-)


back to top