Jerry B's Reviews > Alone

Alone by Lisa Gardner

Apr 16, 2011

liked it

A friend whose reading opinions we favor sicced us on to Lisa Gardner, so we thought we’d try her D.D. Warren series, starting with numero uno “Alone”. Ironically, D.D. makes little more than a token appearance as one of the police detectives working the case at hand, and even then her approach per se is seriously superficial. In the story, a police SWAT-team sniper, Bobby Dodge, makes the difficult decision to kill a man threatening his wife and small child with a gun. He then experiences all kinds of psychological distress over the killing, particularly when the dead man’s father, a wealthy and powerful local judge, decides to file a civil suit against him for murder. The plot sickens when Dodge gets involved with the widow, after which another murder only adds to the police suspicions that Dodge was either manipulated by the widow or in a conspiracy with her to do the bad deeds. Meanwhile, enter yet another bad guy recently released from prison who had kidnapped the widow as a child, and even more dangers lurk in this twisty plot. A strange set of sicknesses of the widow’s four-year-old Nathan, only add to the puzzle.

We found the book a little ho-hum, as the back story premises that explain the character’s current behaviors were somewhat trite. Detective Warren’s role is so trivial one suspects she was just a bit player the author only later decided to expand into a series leading lady. But, the plot was somewhat complicated and suspenseful, showing enough promise that we are encouraged to pursue the later stories in this set which seem to enjoy better reviews that this first work. We shall see.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Alone.