Karen Mace's Reviews > Different Class

Different Class by Joanne Harris

bookshelves: e-books, netgalley

I receieved a copy of this via NetGalley in return for a fair and honest review - thankyou!

I'm ashamed to say that I've never read anything by Joanne Harris before reading this book and I can't understand why I've missed out on her work before! I will be reading more after this astonishing book that kept me hooked from start to finish!

This story centres around St Oswalds boy school and is mainly told from the viewpoint of Roy Straitley, who is an old school Latin Teacher and when a new headmaster arrives at the school ready to bring the school into the 21st Century, then Mr Straitley is immediately opposed and does all he can to try and keep the school traditions and ways.

We soon learn that the new headmaster and Mr Straitley have history, and this is a fascinating link throughout the book at how the past catches up with people and how many are linked to the dark history of the school. It switches seamlessly between 'now' and 'then' and the way the tension is built up over the many secrets and the origins of the diary entries is fascinating.

It often gets quite dark and twisted at times but there are moments of dark humour that do lift the story and add another dimension. Some tough subjects are also discussed especially the attitudes towards homosexuality and how many in the Churches at the time thought it could be cured and it was a 'condition' so the lengths some went to to disassociate themselves with that way of life was quite scandalous.

An absolutely enthralling story which was wonderfully written and featured some amazingly complex characters in such detail - it was an absolute pleasure to read!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Different Class.

April 18, 2016 – Started Reading
April 18, 2016 – Shelved
April 18, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
April 18, 2016 – Shelved as: e-books
April 18, 2016 – Shelved as: netgalley
April 18, 2016 –
April 21, 2016 –
April 22, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Abbie Great review Karen. Knew you would love this book!