Robin's Reviews > Soft in the Head

Soft in the Head by Marie-Sabine Roger

bookshelves: literary-fiction, netgalley, 2016, translation, french

Translated from the original 2008 French. A sweet story about what happens when Germain (45) meets Margueritte (85) in the park one day. Germain has intellectual deficiencies (which are not exactly clear since he is the narrator of the story so we are limited to what he knows), and has been bullied and abused at home and with friends his whole life because of that. Margueritte listens to him and speaks to him as an equal - which causes his whole world to blossom. I love how she opened the world of reading, books and words to him. He makes many astute, deep observations which I really enjoyed.

An overall uplifting story, without getting sappy. The ending was a little abrupt, though.

I received a free copy of this book via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. Thank you Pushkin Press!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Soft in the Head.

April 18, 2016 – Shelved
April 24, 2016 – Started Reading
April 25, 2016 –
April 25, 2016 –
61.0% ""she was born on the right side of the book cover"... love Germain's insights"
April 26, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Nat (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nat K Loved!

Robin Nat wrote: "Loved!"

Nat, how fun. You're the first person I know that has also read this little-known gem.

message 3: by Nat (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nat K It was such a find! I stumbled across it in the bookshop one lunchbreak. Once I started reading it, made the connection with the French film I'd seen. It's a very understated beauty of a book. So gentle but so much going on!