Poonam's Reviews > Cracked Up to Be

Cracked Up to Be by Courtney Summers

liked it
bookshelves: ya-na

This could have been easily a 4 star read for me apart from the ending.

I did not know what to expect when I started with this, the cover makes it feel like a light YA read, the blurb makes it sound more serious.

The sum it up, this is about Parker and the changes that have come in her life because of something that has happened to her.... This was the suspense bit, which is revealed at the end and did not somehow add up with the overall story for me..

Parker is beautiful, top of her class, going out with the most popular guy and at the top of the pecking order in her high school.

I didn't want to be popular because it was easier; I wanted to be popular because in high school that's the best thing you can be: perfect. Everything else is shit.

But something has gone wrong, she has broken up with her boyfriend, is drinking and no more interested in studies, it feels more like Parker is not interested in life anymore...

Somehow I expected Parker's ex-boyfriend to be a douche bag but he is actually really sweet. Jake Gardner and Parker's relation is really interesting. The author has dived into the the typical high-school cliche and come-up with more vulnerable aspects of each and every typical high-school character.

The story even though focused on a a destructive character still has humor and Parker even though depressed is very spunky.

The ending was a bit out of sync and a bit of a let down (view spoiler)

I felt the ending somehow could have been different and better....

This is a first read by this author for me and I really liked how the story flows. I will definitely be checking out more books by her.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cracked Up to Be.

April 18, 2016 – Shelved
April 18, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
July 26, 2016 – Started Reading
July 26, 2016 –
27.0% "I know something is obviously wrong with Parker but her thoughts are still so entertaining"
July 27, 2016 –
68.0% "I like Chris and Jake... Both are soo caring and sweet"
July 28, 2016 –
83.0% "I can't even begin to guess how this will end"
July 28, 2016 –
100.0% "Don't know what to think about the ending. Review to come."
July 28, 2016 – Finished Reading
August 4, 2016 – Shelved as: ya-na

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by Riya (new)

Riya Kite Great review poonam :)

Poonam Riya wrote: "Great review poonam :)"

Thanks Riya :))

Scarlet Totally agree with you on this one. The big reveal at the end disappointed me, especially the way Parker acted (or failed to act). I actually liked her character initially and was rooting for her, despite the bitchiness and self-destrcutive streak, so that ending was a rude shock. Didn't know what to make of it :(

Poonam Scarlet wrote: "Totally agree with you on this one. The big reveal at the end disappointed me, especially the way Parker acted (or failed to act). I actually liked her character initially and was rooting for her, ..."

Yes a different ending could have made me like the book much more!