Chloe Price's Reviews > A Game of Thrones

A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin

45351951

I’ve been sure what to make of the Game of Thrones franchise. I started to watch the TV show when it first came out, but I found that many scenes were too gory for me to watch. I was annoyed as I loved the storylines and characters but my queasy stomach just couldn’t take anymore.
So, I’ve decided to try the books and see if they’re any better.
The first book is nowhere near as graphic and detailed as the TV series (violence wise, anyway. Sex wise, it’s about the same). But that doesn’t make it any less exciting. WHY DO SO MANY CHARACTERS DIE OH MY GOD.
I love the descriptions in this book, which have inspired some of my own writing. . They definitely helped me stay sucked into the story.
I loved so many of the characters in the novel; there are so many who are smart, wise, and overall, bad asses. Majority of them are very strong emotionally. As for the characters who are the opposite of the list above, well, let’s just say I’m counting down the pages of the next book until their deaths.
I could only find one fault in this book. There are so many characters and plots going on, that sometimes it can be hard to keep track of what is going on. If a character hasn’t appeared for a while, when they do I found myself trying to think of what happened last time, so I can follow the storyline easily. I can imagine it’s easier for those who watch the show, but in an 800-and-something page long book, it’s a lot harder.
But that didn’t stop me from enjoying it. I had ranted several times to my friends about how much I hate some of the characters and how much I love some of the other characters (they don’t read or watch the series, so they had no idea what I was on about half the time) because reading this book was an emotional rollercoaster.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Game of Thrones.

April 18, 2016 – Started Reading