Ken's Reviews > Andrew's Brain

Andrew's Brain by E.L. Doctorow

I've enjoyed many (perhaps most) of Doctorow's short stories, but I wasn't enamored of the only novel of his I tried, City of God. I did really like the short story, though, so I may need to go back and give the novel another chance.

This is a beautifully written, quirky, and nonlinear exploration of the workings of a man's mind. It's filled with dark humor, which is my favorite kind. The stream-of-consciousness style enhances the narrative, and Doctorow's prose leaves me more than a little envious of his talent. I thought about quoting a passage or two here, but it would be hard to single just one out for special mention. The addition of the White House segment, especially Chaingang and Rumbum, was a nice touch and had me laughing out loud.

I don't recommend this book if you're one of those readers who demands plot and structure in every novel, but if you enjoy immersing yourself in elegant prose, read it. It will leave you pondering its intricacies days and weeks after you've turned the last page.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Andrew's Brain.

April 17, 2016 – Started Reading