Angel Gelique's Reviews > Ashley Bell

Ashley Bell by Dean Koontz

bookshelves: brilliant-storytelling, creative-and-imaginative, supernatural-fantasy

What an incredible story! I feel as though it took me on an amazing adventure from which I've returned satisfied and refreshed. What more can you ask for from a book? To think, I wasn't sure about this novel for a good part of the first 55-60% or so. I thought it was too much mystery and not enough horror, which I was expecting. I still wouldn't classify this book as a horror novel, but it's not quite a mystery either. Let's just say that it's pretty brilliant and leave it at that for now!

----------
Updated 09/23/16

Now here's a story that threw me for a loop. This book is roughly twice as long as the average book I read. At the 55% mark--in the time it could have taken me to read an entire different novel--I felt greatly disappointed. I didn't know where the story was headed but it was surely taking its time getting there.

Don't get me wrong, the writing is great. The author is Dean Koontz, after all. Personally, I'm not too fond of mystery novels and that's what the full first half of this book was to me. I was beginning to think that the main character, Bibi Blair was little more than an older, surfer-chick version of Nancy Drew. But I must admit that certain events within this story were intriguing enough to keep me turning the pages. I'm very glad that I didn't give up on this one.

So what's all the fuss about?

Twenty-two-year-old Bibi Blair is a young woman with an incredibly bright future. Suddenly, she begins experiencing some debilitating symptoms. Fearful that she may have suffered some some sort of stroke, her mother rushes her to the hospital. The diagnosis is far worse than they can imagine. Bibi has an exceedingly rare form of brain cancer and has, at best, one year to live. Bibi isn't devastated, however.

"...Really just one year? We’ll see.”

Defiantly, Bibi challenges the doctor's grim prognosis. Soon something extraordinary happens and the doctors find, to their shock and disbelief, that Bibi is completely cancer-free.

Or is she?

Bibi embarks on a fascinating journey, determined to find the answers surrounding her perplexing medical miracle. Along the way, she becomes entangled in a perilous conspiratorial plot involving occult, supernatural forces.

The story retains its flair of mystery but evolves into an epic adventure, full of action and suspense. Koontz masterfully weaves an incredibly engrossing tale as readers follow Bibi on her valiant path of self-discovery. It's hard to believe a story that started out so dauntingly slow--and dare I say, a bit boring, evolved into one so unique and mesmerizing.

I know many readers have given up on this one and I pity them for missing out on such a great tale. Perseverance will pay off, I promise!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ashley Bell.

April 17, 2016 – Started Reading
April 17, 2016 – Shelved
April 17, 2016 –
13.0% "Koontz won't let me down...."
April 25, 2016 –
49.0% "Too much mystery, not enough horror."
May 1, 2016 –
May 1, 2016 –
71.0% "I wasn't enjoying this one very much, but now it's getting intriguing."
May 15, 2016 – Shelved as: brilliant-storytelling
May 15, 2016 – Shelved as: creative-and-imaginative
May 15, 2016 – Shelved as: supernatural-fantasy
May 15, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by Elfina (new)

Elfina Renee Delightful review, glad you enjoyed it!

Angel Gelique Thanks, Elfina! It was SO good! I'm finally getting around to posting my full review.

message 3: by Dustin (new) - added it

Dustin Fantastic review, Angel! It's fascinating, and compels me to read it asap.

Angel Gelique Angel wrote: "Thanks, Elfina! It was SO good! I'm finally getting around to posting my full review."

Thanks, Dustin! I hope you'll give it a try. I have a feeling you will really enjoy it.