Thomas's Reviews > Frankenstein

Frankenstein by Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley

2018505
Apr 15, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: read-for-high-school, own-physical, science-fiction, horror

While intellectual and thought-provoking, I thought this book was dull and its characters lacking life. Frankenstein especially exemplified melodrama. I can see why it's a classic - some of the themes intrigued me, but overall this was just not my kind of book. Kudos to Mary Shelley for writing a great piece of literature at such a young age.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Frankenstein.

Stephen I really, really hope you like it! It's one of the first science-fiction novels AND it was written by an 18 year old!

Thomas Stephen wrote: "I really, really hope you like it! It's one of the first science-fiction novels AND it was written by an 18 year old!"

It was okay. I loved Wuthering Heights a lot more. :)

Stephen I did read Frankenstein in high school and I wasn't a huge reader back then so whatever I read was AMAZING!!!!!!! It was for my grade 11 class. Plus, I kinda like the idea of science fiction.

I agree though, Wuthering Heights is so much better.

Thomas I know what you mean, I remember when I first became an avid reader in middle school I gave five stars to books that would receive three/four stars now, just because I hadn't read that many phenomenal books yet. Science-fiction isn't really my thing, but people who enjoy it should get a kick out of Frankenstein.

Stephen I became an avid reader around university. I would read when I was in high school but it was mostly Harry Potter and Dean Koontz. I always thought of reading a little wider but I never got around to it until after the HP series finished in 2007. How I love Harry Potter :)