Holly's Reviews > Dollbaby

Dollbaby by Laura Lane McNeal

liked it
bookshelves: audiobook, historical-fiction, 2017-read

I primarily chose to read this book because it was set in New Orleans and I was going on vacation there. Maybe a weird reason to pick a book, but I think it's fun to get excited about a vacation destination by reading about it ahead of time (even if fictionally).

The main character of this book is supposedly Ibby (Liberty Bell). However, I have to say she's kind of boring and doesn't carry the plot at all. If anything she seems to just be a device used to tell other people's stories and this impression was confirmed by the twist at the end of the book. The book title is 'Dollbaby', which is the nickname of another character. So you might think this book is really about her, but she is very much a peripheral character for most of the book. However, the most interesting and well developed character is someone else, Fannie, Ibby's Grandmother.

I liked this book, probably even more so for having listened to the audiobook due to the great narrator, but I wish the book was only from Fannie's viewpoint. I understand that with the twist, that would have been almost impossible to do but still, the character of Ibby just weighed down the story for me. We do get to see Fannie's viewpoint in some flashback scenes at least. Fannie's escape from home, how she met her husband, the day she moved in the house, and the ensuing family tragedies were all highlights for me.

This book had a lot of potential and I think with a better editor and with a little more direction for the character of Ibby, this book perhaps could have really been great instead of just good. But it's still a solid book, so I'd definitely be willing to read another book by this author if she writes one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dollbaby.

April 17, 2016 – Shelved
April 17, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
June 1, 2017 – Started Reading
June 1, 2017 – Shelved as: audiobook
June 1, 2017 – Shelved as: historical-fiction
June 5, 2017 –
30.0% "What are the chances of randomly reading two books back to back that both have a main character named Liberty Bell? Weird coincidence!"
June 7, 2017 –
June 13, 2017 –
June 15, 2017 – Shelved as: 2017-read
June 15, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Sonja Arlow I also really enjoyed the audio narrator and hope your holiday turned out great!

Holly Sonja wrote: "I also really enjoyed the audio narrator and hope your holiday turned out great!"

It did! :)