TheCrazyWorldOfABookLover's Reviews > One True Loves

One True Loves by Taylor Jenkins Reid

it was ok
bookshelves: no-just-no

I KNOW I KNOW the minority once again.

photo Let_me_think_uhm_um_eh_ooh_yuck_dunno_weird_crazy_britney_huh_what_damn_creepy_icky_whoop_nah_zpsf1vyadzl.gif

I'm conflicted with this story. I loved the first half of this, but after about 70% or so, there were things I didn't understand and some things I just didn't enjoy.

As you may have read from the blurb, Emma and Jesse meet as teenagers, fall in love, and marry. But after a helicopter crash, Jesse goes missing and is assumed to be dead. Fast forward 3 years, Emma moves back home and is reacquainted with a childhood friend, Sam. They start to date, fall in love, and eventually become engaged. But a few months after their engagement, Jesse is found and returns home.

In the beginning, when the characters are in their teenage years, I loved how the author unfolded how they all met and the years that followed. I found the dry witty humor refreshing and I just immediately connected with the story. I really liked Emma’s personality and I loved how insightful it was.

Now what didn't work for me is going to be a little harder to explain without spoiling anything. But the last 70% or so was just so ….convenient, and was wrapped up way too neatly in a nice little bow. The way things ended and so easily came together didn't seem realistic to me. At all. I also didn't understand Emma's decisions toward the end. In fact, they angered me quite a bit. Again, I can't say much more without spoiling some parts, so I'll leave a spoiler tag with details for those who want to know below.

photo F34466A2-639A-4963-AB9C-FF5BE3D10573_zpsy9ccppue.gif

(view spoiler)

All in all, this was an enjoyable read at first, though I didn’t agree with how a lot of things were handled later on. I do think books like this that involve a sort of love triangle / cheating are a tricky thing to write. Naturally, people are going to pick sides and find the person in the middle selfish and not always understand their decisions. Which is what the main issue was for me. While I can’t deny that the author is a talented writer I enjoyed the first half so much more than the last.

*ARC provided in exchange for an honest review

Find Me On:
InstagramFB PageFB BlogBlog

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One True Loves.

April 17, 2016 – Shelved
April 17, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
May 2, 2016 – Started Reading
May 4, 2016 – Finished Reading
September 5, 2016 – Shelved as: no-just-no

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)

TheCrazyWorldOfABookLover Patty ❤️❤️ Belongs To ❤️Kellan❤️Jesse❤️Lautner❤️Miller❤️Garrett❤️Dean and Archer❤️❤️ wrote: "Enjoy Love! :)
xoxo"

thank you dear!!

message 3: by Bex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bex | TotallyBex.com Oh, no! I thought you were going to love it, I really did. That's ok, you don't have to love them all!

TheCrazyWorldOfABookLover Bex wrote: "Oh, no! I thought you were going to love it, I really did. That's ok, you don't have to love them all!"

I loved the first half =/. The second not so much.

message 5: by Bex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bex | TotallyBex.com I can totally see that happening. I look forward to reading your review!

I loved the first half =/. The second not so much."

Lucia Welcome to the group. I did not like this one as well... Looking forward to your review!

TheCrazyWorldOfABookLover Lucia wrote: "Welcome to the group. I did not like this one as well... Looking forward to your review!"

haha thanks!! I was really hoping I'd like this one more. The writing was great, but the plot not so much =/

TheCrazyWorldOfABookLover Nancy wrote: "Great honest review!! I can understand why it really didn't work for you. Hopefully your next read is better :)"

thank you Nancy!!

✦❋Arianna✦❋ Great honest review, babe! Sorry it wasn't better for you! xx

TheCrazyWorldOfABookLover Arianna wrote: "Great honest review, babe! Sorry it wasn't better for you! xx"

thank you sweetie!! I'm sure most will enjoy this more than I did =/ the writing really was good

message 11: by Elle (new)

Elle Nicely said, hon! Unrealistic, huh :(

Lucia (view spoiler)

message 13: by Sasha (new)

Sasha (seetheworldwithbooks) Oh my god, another stupid heroine i need to avoid. Thanks for your review! :))And i LOVE this review, so great!=D

TheCrazyWorldOfABookLover Elle wrote: "Nicely said, hon! Unrealistic, huh :("

thanks doll!

TheCrazyWorldOfABookLover Cookie wrote: "Oh my god, another stupid heroine i need to avoid. Thanks for your review! :))And i LOVE this review, so great!=D"

Thank you!! LOL Idk if I would call her stupid. But I most definitely didn't like what she did =/

message 16: by TheCrazyWorldOfABookLover (last edited May 20, 2016 07:34AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

TheCrazyWorldOfABookLover Lucia wrote: "[spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

Melissa Nice review! I have to agree, things wrapped up a little too easily in the end and some of her choices were so infuriating!!

TheCrazyWorldOfABookLover Melissa wrote: "Nice review! I have to agree, things wrapped up a little too easily in the end and some of her choices were so infuriating!!"

Thank you!!! Yea - the ending was not too realistic in my opinion =/ the situation was way too delicate to be wrapped up so easily

message 19: by Autumn (new)

Autumn Great review! Thank you for framing it in such a way that I could 1) decide if I wanted to read the spoilers and 2) not regret that I did. Once I read them, it only confirmed that I would not enjoy the book. A nice little bow, indeed!

TheCrazyWorldOfABookLover Autumn wrote: "Great review! Thank you for framing it in such a way that I could 1) decide if I wanted to read the spoilers and 2) not regret that I did. Once I read them, it only confirmed that I would not enjoy..."

thanks so much Autumn! ❤ After this one I've decided love triangles are just not for me lol

message 21: by Betul (new)

Betul I am going to skip this one! Great review ;)

TheCrazyWorldOfABookLover Betul wrote: "I am going to skip this one! Great review ;)"

thank youuuuu!❤

message 23: by Ash (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ash I stayed up reading this and for the life of me cannot understand HOW a decision can be made in 3 days and then both people wipe their hands clean? That is where it all lost me! Glad I found your review it makes me feel like I'm not the only one!

TheCrazyWorldOfABookLover Ash wrote: "I stayed up reading this and for the life of me cannot understand HOW a decision can be made in 3 days and then both people wipe their hands clean? That is where it all lost me! Glad I found your r..."

I totally agree. (view spoiler)

message 25: by Lori (new)

Lori Your review has just helped me make the decision not to buy this book. Thank you for sparing me the frustration I know I would have felt had I read it.

TheCrazyWorldOfABookLover Lori wrote: "Your review has just helped me make the decision not to buy this book. Thank you for sparing me the frustration I know I would have felt had I read it."

;) glad I could help! lol

message 27: by Edna (new) - rated it 3 stars

Edna Vera I absolutely agree with your review!! I didn't enjoy the end, it made me think that Sam was a guy without self-esteem and Emma never loved him!
I didn't like the love scenes with Jesse because it made me think that, she was completely in love and happy and then, she decided to love Sam, Wtf!! It was disgusting, and Sam accept this like one little thing, in a very personal way, when you really love someone not think about sleeping with someone else. It made me feel Emma's love false (for Sam). I felt really angry about this.

I cried more for Sam!!

Linda Thanks for this Review. I finished this book today and was really upset about the ending but couldnt put it in words. When I read your review, you hit a nerve. I hated how they just gave up after three days, totally unrealistic.

Angie Elle I'm reading this now and just hit the 70% mark, and I'm a bit disgusted with Emma. So I had to read ahead to see how this is going to go. I'm not happy about the ending. But thanks for spoiling for me. Hopefully it'll soften the blow! Great review.

Jaime Young Glad to hear that I wasn't the only one.

Findafindo Oh my God I totally agree with you!!! I came to dislike Emma towards the end of the book. I was okay with her at the beginning, even kinda liked her. I love Sam. I do. But I was rooting for Jesse, because I could only imagine the struggle he went through to go back home only to find his wife choose another man. The pain must have been unbearable.
And I totally agree with you again on the last part! After deciding to be with Sam, she sleeps with Jesse again??!!! The fuck??!!!