Jerry's Reviews > I Kill Giants

I Kill Giants by Joe Kelly

Apr 15, 2011

bookshelves: favorites

Good stories are the ones that leave a little bit of themselves with us after their last scene unfurls. The most marvelous of stories, however, are the ones that take a piece of us with them when they go. I was happy to surrender a tiny piece of myself to I Kill Giants.

Joe Kelly deftly weaves the incredibly personal tale of Barbara, a young girl who makes no apology for her awkward looks and eccentric tastes. Armed with the mystic hammer Coveleski, Barbara takes on the monsters of middle school life with the fearless spirit of a superhero. But strong as she is, even the bravest of us would be terrified by the secret that haunts Barbara at home.

Complimenting the words of Joe are J.M. Ken Niimura's pencils. His art is so electric and engaging that sometimes his characters appear not only bigger than a page, but larger than life itself.

I would recommend this book to absolutely everyone, because I believe that there's a little bit of Barbara Thorson in each of us. This book will make you believe that we're all stronger than we think, and that sometimes, even the smallest of us can kill giants.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Kill Giants.