Stewart Mitchell's Reviews > Steve Jobs

Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson

bookshelves: favorites, biography

I never was particularly interested in Steve Jobs, but after seeing Danny Boyle's fantastic biopic last year, I decided to check this biography out. Little did I know that I would be pushing 200 pages a day, absolutely enthralled in it.

Steve Jobs was, by almost all accounts, a control freak and an absolute tool. He was aggressive, inconsiderate of others, obsessive, and an unyielding perfectionist. He couldn't do much in the way of building technology; instead he dictated what he wanted to others and took credit for their work and sometimes their ideas. He made a lot of people miserable.

However, he was also a man of extreme and unrelenting passion. He didn't let his inability to build products stop him from building a brand, and he didn't let anyone stand in his way. He had a grand vision: he wanted to bring art to technology. He wanted to give people what they wanted before they even knew that they wanted it. He didn't care about the money. In fact, he was a hippie at heart who wanted to design technology that was as spiritual as it was ingenious.

Walter Isaacson does a spectacular job at weaving Jobs's life into a story and crafting a biography that's more engaging than almost anything I've ever read. He conducted 40 interviews with Jobs and became a good friend of his before his death, and his deep understanding of the man makes for an honest and heartfelt read. He doesn't leave out the bad parts- it would be impossible to do so- but instead interviews both friend and foe to tell the story from all angles. It's impossible to describe the familiarity and genuineness in this book to someone who hasn't read it, so read it.

Lastly, I think this book changed me. It motivated me to achieve at all costs, and create something worthwhile. It encouraged me to leave something here on Earth that nobody else could. Most importantly it made me want to dream bigger.

Are you reading this review on a Macbook right now? An iPhone? iPad? Maybe you're listening to music on your iPod right now. Even if you aren't, you know somebody who is. Pick this book up.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Steve Jobs.

Started Reading