Julie's Reviews > The Forgotten Garden

The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton

bookshelves: e-book, cultural, historical-fiction, historical-mystery

The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton is a 2009 Atria publication.

I only recently discovered this author, having read her latest release, “The Lake House,” and loved it. Naturally, I wanted more!

The Forgotten Garden is just the type of novel I can lose myself in. I love family secrets within a historical setting that spans generations.

The story begins with a little girl found all alone in 1913, taken in by a couple desperate for children, raising her as their own, naming her “Nell”. Once Nell learns the truth, she is shattered by the revelations, and sabotages all the plans she has for the future. Years later, she is given a chance to learn more about her true heritage, but it wasn’t until her granddaughter inherits Nell’s estate, that the truth is slowly unearthed.

Kate Morton’s prose is mesmerizing, hypnotizing, and riveting. I enjoyed seeing the mystery unfold due to Cassandra’s persistence, and with the help of those just as eager to help her obtain answers her grandmother never had the chance to.

In some ways the tale is a sordid one, controversial even, with people making choices that affect generations of people. Some were selfish, some were selfless, and the results were often mixed. There are actually three stories here, woven together, carefully constructed to keep the reader in almost unbearable suspense, until all the shocking secrets of the forgotten garden are at last revealed, finally releasing the pain and heartbreak visited on so many, and opening up a new portal for peace and understanding.

While many areas of this story are depressing, and it could be argued that it’s a tragedy, it is also a kind a love story, and ends on such an uplifting note, I felt a huge sense of peace. I loved Eliza’s fairy tales and the way they paralleled real events, in the story. I could help but feel for Eliza, but admired her, too, however, I was often perplexed by Nell’s choices, but Cassandra is a gem and I think she will make sure the legacy of her true heritage is given the honor and respect it deserves.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Forgotten Garden.

April 16, 2016 – Started Reading
April 16, 2016 – Shelved
April 16, 2016 – Shelved as: e-book
April 16, 2016 – Shelved as: cultural
April 16, 2016 – Shelved as: historical-fiction
April 16, 2016 – Shelved as: historical-mystery
May 14, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)

message 1: by sue (new) - rated it 4 stars

sue Read this ages ago, absolutely loved it. The authors other books are good too if you've not read them Julie

Julie Sue1958 wrote: "Read this ages ago, absolutely loved it. The authors other books are good too if you've not read them Julie"
It might take a while with my review schedule, but I intend to read everything I can find by Kate Morton!

Christina ~ Brunette Reader Lovely review, Julie!

Julie Christina ~ Brunette Reader wrote: "Lovely review, Julie!
I'm really looking forward to reading this one, KM is an author I've been meaning to try for a long time."

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. Happy Reading!!

message 5: by Dorine (new) - added it

Dorine I'm collecting these to read, as well, Julie. Great review. Sounds like my kind of book. :)

Julie Dorine wrote: "I'm collecting these to read, as well, Julie. Great review. Sounds like my kind of book. :)"

Thanks Dorine! I can't wait to hear your thoughts on it!

Thebooktrail Lovely review Julie! It's always lovely to meet a fellow Morton fan and yes I agree this book really is something special. What did you think of The Secret Keeper? Still my fav out of all of them but it's tough to pick!
Susan

Julie Thebooktrail wrote: "Lovely review Julie! It's always lovely to meet a fellow Morton fan and yes I agree this book really is something special. What did you think of The Secret Keeper? Still my fav out of all of them b..."

Susan,
Thanks! I still have 'The Secret Keeper' in my TBR pile. I hoping to work it in sometime this summer. The anticipation is killing me!

message 9: by Margitte (new)

Margitte Wonderful review, Julie! I will certainly look into it.

Julie Margitte wrote: "Wonderful review, Julie! I will certainly look into it."
Margitte, I think you would love this book!! I highly recommend it.

message 11: by Margitte (new)

Margitte Julie wrote: "Margitte wrote: "Wonderful review, Julie! I will certainly look into it."
Margitte, I think you would love this book!! I highly recommend it."

I loved Kate Morton's other book, 'The Secret Keeper'. enjoy her writing style. Will hopefully get to this one. Your review was convincing.

message 12: by Kamala (new)

Kamala great review!

Julie Kamala wrote: "great review!"

Margitte wrote: "Kamala wrote: "great review!"

Thanks, Kamala!"

Debbie Sweeney I adore this author too. One of my favorites:)

Julie Debbie wrote: "I adore this author too. One of my favorites:)"

Debbie, I'm so glad I discovered her work. I can't wait to read 'The Secret Keeper'.

Laurie • The Baking Bookworm Morton is a fabulous writer. The Secret Keeper is one of my favs of hers. :)

Julie The Baking Bookworm wrote: "Morton is a fabulous writer. The Secret Keeper is one of my favs of hers. :)"

She is, indeed! I still haven't read 'The Secret Keeper' but I'm really looking forward to it.