Giselle's Reviews > This Adventure Ends

This Adventure Ends by Emma   Mills

An Advance Reader Copy was provided by the publisher for review. Quotes pulled from the ARC may be incorrect and may be subject to change.

Sloane's the new kid. The New Yorker who came to Alabama with her author father, little sister and mother in tow. She's a little bit of a loner, her senior year until her mother encourages her to make new friends. At a party she befriends twins Vera and Gabe who seem like they have everything going and have no qualms about life. That is until she starts to get closer to them, she realizes maybe having friends isn't so bad. Maybe it's one adventure she was missing all along.

Sloane.. oh how do I describe her? Sarcastic to a fault. Uses humour to deflect. And has a lot of faults that she doesn't see. She was hilarious to read. Her smart mouth got her into a load of trouble and I couldn't help but watch her grow as the final pages were turned. I think some people will dislike her and that's okay too, but I liked her. She had a lot of sass that made me laugh out loud. Not to mention all of her friends. What a lovely group of people to have found at such a young age. They're truly great. I loved that there was always more to each character, having them become more multi-dimensional. I loved Vera and her girlfriend and her social media celebrity status. She was always so positive and kind to Sloane. And Gabe is a little stereo-typical broody love interest but I didn't mind it at all.

You're going to have to wait for anything to happen with the romance because this book focuses more on friendship and family. There's no story line really, it's day to day musings about the characters and their relationships. What little plot there is, well that was part of the journey Sloane takes and I thought it was rather sweet. Even if there was no main story, I wasn't bored and kept on reading. The banter and dialogue between the characters were just spot on. I could have seen this book be made into a movie with the cast of characters having great chemistry. The power of friendship is such a strong bond, and I can happily say this one is too cute of a read to miss.

Finally! A wonderfully written book about friendship, family, and a tiny bit of romance. So so so cute!

RATING 4/5

QUOTES

"I creep because I care." (35)

"My longest relationship has been with Netflix." (47)

"You can believe in something without making fun of it." (98)

"I would make you realize how much you matter to people." (175)

"Loneliness was a kind of wanting, but it was also this incredible freedom." (247)

"I guess I was trying to demonstrate the idea that something perfect can end, and something broken can endure." (253)

"Maybe there are people who love someone so much that when they lose them, they never want to be with anyone else again. But maybe there are people who love someone so much that it makes them want to find that kind of love again. Maybe they loved them so much, they can't live without that kind of love in their life. And maybe…it's a kind of love where you don't have to say it. Where they're such a part of you and you're such a part of them that it doesn't need to be said. Because you already know." (294)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This Adventure Ends.

April 15, 2016 – Shelved
July 7, 2016 – Shelved as: from-publishers
July 7, 2016 – Shelved as: requested-for-review
October 21, 2016 – Started Reading
page 28
8.75% "I love her family already. Her dad is an author? Even better!"
page 138
43.13% "Is this the whole plot?"
October 21, 2016 – Shelved as: genre-lgbt
page 181
56.56% "*smirks* he folded your sweater when he doesn't care about his own clothes strewn all over the floor.. :)"
page 247
77.19% "Loneliness was a kind of wanting, but it was also this incredible freedom."
page 294
91.88% "Maybe there are people who love someone so much that when they lose them, they never want to be with anyone else again. But maybe there are people who love someone so much that it makes them want to find that kind of love again. Maybe they loved them so much, they can't live without that kind of love in their life."
October 21, 2016 – Shelved as: genre-romance
October 21, 2016 – Shelved as: 4-star
October 21, 2016 – Shelved as: genre-romance-slow-burn
October 21, 2016 – Finished Reading
June 22, 2017 – Shelved as: own
June 22, 2017 – Shelved as: bought-online

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by kaufmasks (new) - added it

kaufmasks i love the reveiwキタワァ*・゜゚・*:.。..。.:*・゜(n‘∀‘)η゚・*:.。. .。.:*・゜゚・*!!!!

message 2: by Tandie (new) - added it

Tandie I love this review. I loved her last book and forgot about this one.

Giselle @kaufmasks @Tandie: thank you!! I hope you both like it too.

message 4: by kaufmasks (new) - added it

kaufmasks i hope i do :D