Leo Passaportis's Reviews > The Emperor

The Emperor by Ryszard Kapuściński

Apr 15, 2016

I have to say this wasn't an easy read but it was certainly a worthwhile one. Other GR members have written very comprehensive reviews so won't repeat what has been adequately said. In summary Kapuściński's journalistic nose is definitely attuned to the investigative.
Goodness knows how far he went in his efforts to interview such a wide selection of people, many intimately connected with the palace of emperor (Haile Selassie). Probably the best passage for me is his account of a feast for dignitaries, of how the plates pass out of the palace banquet along a chain of waiters to a distant kitchen and the sighing of the hungry masses who feed on the scraps passed to them. This description of the collective is possibly one of the most evocative I can ever recall.
Credit must also be given to the nameless interviewees who he denotes simply by initials. The book would not have been possible without them. I suspect Kapuściński infused the interviews with his own writing style. One gets the sense after reading a number of consecutive chapters. This is not to detract from the readability or authenticity of the tale in any way.
In conclusion a very interesting read of a medieval kingdom and it's omnipotent demagogue that withstood the tide of the 20th century for 8 miraculous decades before it's (and his) inevitable demise.
For another great excerpt read this post: https://leopassi.wordpress.com/2016/0...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Emperor.

April 1, 2016 – Started Reading