Val's Reviews > Rising Tides

Rising Tides by Nora Roberts

So sad to give the second book in the Chesapeake Bay Saga 3 stars after I gave the first book 5, but I didn't love it like I loved the first one.

Rising Tides continues the story of the Quinn brothers, though focusing on Ethan (the second kid Ray and Stella Quinn adopted) and Grace, a single mother who's been in love with him since always (and who Ethan has been in love with since always as well).
The book is actually too focused on them, on their romance. I would've loved that because I'm a sucker for romance but I didn't. Ethan and Grace as a couple neither attracted me nor interested me.
Whereas reading about Cameron and Anna kept me wanting more, grinning, feeling their chemistry through the pages and I knew they were meant to be together, Ethan and Grace gave me a 'meh' feeling. I felt indifferent towards them. I wouldn't have mind at all if they hadn't ended together.

Why did I keep reading if they didn't interest me then? Because I couldn't wait to read about Cameron and Anna and the interactions between the Quinn brothers. Both reasons which I would've loved to see more in this book.
The first one I understand its lack of it because the book wasn't supposed to be focused on them, but the latter reason disappointed me a lot. Their brothers' interactions was one of my favorite parts of Sea Swept and I really missed them in this book.

Though Rising Tides left me with a bittersweet taste, I'm definitely going to read the next book in the saga because I can't wait to know more about Phillip (whose story's next), hopefully more about Cam and Anna and know what's going to happen with Seth.
I really hope the third book's better.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rising Tides.

Finished Reading
April 14, 2011 – Shelved
August 28, 2011 – Started Reading
page 22
page 137
page 137
41.52% "Cam and Anna are back! The story wasn't the same without them! :)"
August 29, 2011 –
December 15, 2014 – Shelved as: boring-romance
December 15, 2014 – Shelved as: friends-to-lovers
January 22, 2015 – Shelved as: tortured-scarred-hero
June 25, 2015 – Shelved as: heroine-is-a-mom

valee Well while I just have 'liked' a review from another friend here who rated the book with 5 stars, and only wrote the best of things about the book and the author, I also can understand what you mean. I do agree with you that those were the things I loved the most as well. I wonder with which of you 2 will I agree once I read it,lol.

message 2: by Val (new) - rated it 3 stars

Val haha, wanna read your thoughts as well once you start it :)

Jessa951 i felt the same way, so far anyway. I'm about 1/3 of the way through Rising Tides and to be honest, i'm a little bored. i enjoyed Sear Swept much more than this one. Ethan's character is interesting but kinda creepy at times. Not sure if that was the intent or not but that's what i'm getting. i'll finish the book because i want to get on to the next one. but yes, Cameron and Anna's characters and relationship was so much more intense and dramatic and enganging. Grace & Ethan, well, as you put it, meh.

message 4: by Val (new) - rated it 3 stars

Val Jessa951 wrote: "i felt the same way, so far anyway. I'm about 1/3 of the way through Rising Tides and to be honest, i'm a little bored. i enjoyed Sear Swept much more than this one. Ethan's character is interes..."

Yeah, and my thoughts on them didn't change at all the rest of the book. But I kept reading because of Seth, Cam and Anna. The third and fourth book are so much better :) I hope you give those a try.

Jessa951 i have Inner Harbor so i will def read it once i'm through with Rising Tides. :)