Kristin's Reviews > Smoke Gets in Your Eyes: And Other Lessons from the Crematory

Smoke Gets in Your Eyes by Caitlin Doughty

bookshelves: books-i-own

I'm not even going to pretend that this book is for everyone. The idea of it grabbed my attention as soon as I heard about it, but right before I started reading, I thought, am I ready for this?

Despite the morbid and sometimes depressing subject matter, I actually enjoyed this book. It was definitely dark and gross at times, but that's not surprising. (There was only one part that turned my stomach.) It was sort of fascinating. I liked the format of the author's personal experiences mixed in with how other cultures deal with death. And while I don't agree with her on everything, she definitely made some good points. I had never before thought about how detached our society is from real death. I've always felt uncomfortable with the artificial feeling of traditional funerals and embalming and all of that, and now I understand why.

(The author isn't religious and believes that death is it, the end, so there's an unusual lack of talk about the afterlife here.)

Like I said, definitely not for everyone. But if it sounds interesting to you, go for it. It was very readable and interesting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Smoke Gets in Your Eyes.

April 14, 2016 – Shelved