Saruuh Kelsey's Reviews > In the Dark, In the Woods

In the Dark, In the Woods by Eliza Wass

bookshelves: mystery-thriller, young-adult, favorites, read-in-2016, other

There are no words for this book. It far surpasses any language. I'm not even going to attempt a full review of this book because it has left me emotional and practically speechless. Here are the points I wrote down:

- Atmospheric, real-world thriller (no fantasy or magic)
- Unsettling, upsetting, chilling
- Makes you doubt what's real, who's good or bad, if God exists in the way we know it today (as faith) or as something more (as magic)
- Realistic, easy-to-like MC. I honestly cannot say the right words to describe her. Amazing doesn't cover it, brave is nowhere near powerful enough. Maybe I should just say powerful - Castella is powerful in her own right.
- A Brilliant cast of characters. I appreciated all the siblings but I ADORED Caspar. I'd go to the ends of the earth to protect him.
- Cult-like family that is honest-to-gods terrifying. I don't mean scary or creepy or eerie. I mean TERRIFYING. Do not read this and expect an easy read. It will disturb you. It will push you out of your comfort zone. It will captivate you too.
- A haunting insight into the horrors of humanity
- Just wonderful, resonating, and emotional. It's written with such care and compassion that you can't help but be swept away.
- I will read anything Eliza Wass writes. She could write about a secret rebellion (ugh) in a virtual reality game (ughhhhhh) with a super cliche story, and I would still devour it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In the Dark, In the Woods.

April 14, 2016 – Started Reading
April 14, 2016 – Shelved
April 14, 2016 – Shelved as: mystery-thriller
April 14, 2016 – Shelved as: young-adult
page 61
20.61% "This is fucked up"
page 164
55.41% "Stunned by how good this book is. It's disturbing and haunting and dark (human dark not paranormal dark.) And it's so, so, so well written. I am genuinely scared of their father. Genuinely."
page 210
70.95% "Protect Caspar for gods sakes!!! My precious, wounded cinnamon roll."
April 15, 2016 – Shelved as: favorites
April 15, 2016 – Shelved as: read-in-2016
April 15, 2016 – Shelved as: other
April 15, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Lectus Ha ha! I loved it too and will read anything she writes next.