freckledbibliophile's Reviews > Ironweed

Ironweed by William  Kennedy

23002041

This was one of the weirdest books I've read. However, I was hooked. Francis was a well oiled bum. His life was excessively laden with booze. Considering, he lost everything. Two people died by his hands, one being his infant son (at least those are the two that we know about). Francis, was notorious for running away from his violent criminalities.

Eventually, Francis returns back to his hometown in an attempt to gain forgiveness for those who were affected by his bad choices. The weird part comes about when this forgiveness is sought from the dead, which plays out in different scenes. This is where I thought he was a bit delirious. Was he hallucinating and/or being haunted by his dark warped memory? Trying to live with such vile sins can cause dementedness.

I felt that his reasoning as to why he ran away was ludicrous. His return made sense but his rationale for leaving was a load of crap!

If you are truly remorseful you'll be able to free yourself from guilt. However, I don't feel he truly was. That said, I still enjoyed the story. 4/5
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ironweed.

Finished Reading