Poonam's Reviews > To Kill a Mockingbird

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

bookshelves: group-reads, historical, classics

Read this as part of Buddy Read with Reading Is Fun Group.
"Mockingbirds don't do one thing but make music for us to enjoy. They don't eat up people's gardens, don't nest in corncribs, they don't do one thing but sing their hearts out for us. That's why it's a sin to kill a mockingbird."

This is considered a classic but it is soo very different from the other classics that I have read. I don't know why, but always because of the title of this book I thought this will be a difficult book to read and kept on pushing off reading this. How I repent not reading this earlier!!

Firstly I had no idea that this whole book is from a child's perspective. The book's basic premise does deal with a very serious topic . But the way it has been written somehow makes it easier to read (I did not have the heavy feeling that is associated with most of the classics).

The start of the book reminded me of all the children's book I have ever read- the world is innocent all around and life is all about fun and games. But as the story moves forward and the main protagonist (Scout) becomes aware of all the evil's that surround her, we too experience this awakening with her. I really think this was a very unique way of making the reader realize how the innocence of this child is shattered and there is a stage of awareness of the rights and wrong (We all have been through that).

The author has also beautifully iterated to the reader that it is easier for the children to differentiate between right and wrong than adults who are prejudiced by their own narrow view of how the world should be.

If you haven't already read this, I highly recommend reading this book. I am very interested in seeing the screen adaptation of this story.

Quotes Poonam Liked

Harper Lee
“It was times like these when I thought my father, who hated guns and had never been to any wars, was the bravest man who ever lived.”

Harper Lee
“The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience.”

Harper Lee
“Some negroes lie, some are immoral, some negro men are not be trusted around women - black and white. But this is a truth that applies to the human race and to no particular race of men.”

Harper Lee
“There's a lot of ugly things in this world, son. I wish I could keep 'em all away from you. That's never possible.”

Harper Lee
“You can't really get to know a person until you get in their shoes and walk around in them.”

April 14, 2016 – Shelved
April 14, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
June 30, 2017 – Started Reading
July 2, 2017 –
40.0% "One person can have soo many sides to them...."
July 5, 2017 –
55.0% "That was oddly moving"
July 5, 2017 –
75.0% "Fingers crossed for the verdict"
July 7, 2017 –
100.0% "Review to come"
July 7, 2017 – Finished Reading
August 18, 2017 – Shelved as: group-reads
August 18, 2017 – Shelved as: historical
August 18, 2017 – Shelved as: classics

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)

Supratim Nice review, Poonam! This is one of my favourite books.

Neha Nice review! Even though this was an average read for me, Scout's character and her relationship with Atticus was my favourite part.

Poonam Supratim wrote: "Nice review, Poonam! This is one of my favourite books."

Thanks Supratim and now it is in my top reads too :))

Poonam Neha wrote: "Nice review! Even though this was an average read for me, Scout's character and her relationship with Atticus was my favourite part."

Thanks Neha! I loved Atticus and his relationship with Scout was adorable.

message 5: by Nameeta (new) - added it

Nameeta awesome review Poonam. I felt the same way I read it the first time. hoping to pick it up again soon

message 6: by StMargarets (new)

StMargarets I'm glad you took the plunge and read it. Have you seen the movie? It does a spectacular job with the story. One of the few movies, imo, that is just as good as the book.

message 7: by Ashok (new) - added it

Ashok Krishna Thanks for the recommendation. Adding it to my list. :-)

Poonam Nameeta wrote: "awesome review Poonam. I felt the same way I read it the first time. hoping to pick it up again soon"

Thanks Nami, this definitely is a book for re-read :))

Poonam StMargarets wrote: "I'm glad you took the plunge and read it. Have you seen the movie? It does a spectacular job with the story. One of the few movies, imo, that is just as good as the book."

The movie is on my watch list M:))

Poonam Ashok wrote: "Thanks for the recommendation. Adding it to my list. :-)"

Happy Reading Ashok :))

message 11: by Sruthi (new) - added it

Sruthi Wonderful Review, Thanks for recommending :))

Poonam Sruthi wrote: "Wonderful Review, Thanks for recommending :))"

Thanks Sruthi and Happy Reading!!