Michael Sahd's Reviews > The Mummy

The Mummy by Anne Rice

liked it

Ramses awakens in 1914 in London, years after his previous awakening. When he reigned over Egypt, he had learned the formula to make an elixir that made him not only immortal, but superhuman as well. He apparently is highly intelligent, as reflected by his ability to learn English in record time. I personally wonder how intelligent he is, because some of the decisions he makes in the story aren't the brightest. However, his poor decision making is what drives the plot.

Anne Rice loves her immortals. I think perhaps Ramses is my favorite type of immortal featured in her books. Unlike her vampires, Ramses doesn't seem to have any flaws (other than thinking with his little head more than his big one), but seems to enjoy all the benefits of Rice's older vampires. Although I personally would prefer Ramses' immortality, it doesn't really do the book any favors. A good protagonist needs flaws, and poor decision making doesn't really do it for me.

All in all, I've always enjoyed Anne Rice, and I think this is a fine read, just not as good as some of her others.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mummy.

Finished Reading
April 14, 2011 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

message 1: by Nick (new)

Nick Crutchley As long as it is better than Queen of the Damned.

message 2: by Michael (last edited Oct 03, 2019 07:59AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Michael Sahd Nick wrote: "As long as it is better than Queen of the Damned."

LOL
When I read The Queen of the Damned, I was still inured with her vampires. So although QotD was not nearly as good as its predecessors, I still enjoyed it. Memnoch the Devil, on the other hand, I almost didn't finish. I suffered through it though, because I wanted to know what happened to Lestat.

message 3: by Nick (new)

Nick Crutchley Michael wrote: "Nick wrote: "As long as it is better than Queen of the Damned."

LOL
When I read Queen of the Damned I was still inured with her vampires. So although, QotD was not nearly as good as its predecess..."

I loved the first two novels, but not the QotD. After that, I gave up. Moved onto Kazuo Ishiguro - a Pale View of the Hills.

Though, I do remember the second book... reading it in a dilapidated cabin in the middle of the Canadian Rockies, as the candles burned and the bears hunted in the deep night.

message 4: by Nick (new)

LOL

Michael Sahd That sounds exciting. I grew up on the southern end of the Rockies. I love those mountains. Yes, the first two were by far the best, and Interview the very best.

I've not read Ishiguro. I'll need to check him out.