Chris's Reviews > Is Journalism Worth Dying For?: Final Dispatches

Is Journalism Worth Dying For? by Anna Politkovskaya

Apr 14, 2011

bookshelves: reporting, crime-and-trial

American news sucks! It does. It really does. It use to be okay if you had cable. Then Al Gore brought the International News Network and turned it into Current (which is a waste of space), then the BBC American Newscast on BBC America went on PBS. Lying people, it is not the small newscast. It is only carried by one local PBS network where I live (on my cable I have access to three, not counting secondary channels), and on PBS it is only half an hour, not the HOUR it was on BBC America. It's not quite as bad in Philly for we get MIND networks, one of which reboardcasts international news programs, but lately, and understandably so, it has been NHK network.

This is a shame because I only really heard about Anna Politkovskaya when she died.

Just go read this book for (a) large international prespective about Russia and (b) to understand a war that does make the news.

More Americans should report like she did - on International News Stories. Honestly, it's sad when the wedding of William and Kate gets more coverage then Iraq, Libiya, or Nigeria. Didn't we kick the Brits out?

This book reminds of us of what is important.

And she loved dogs!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Is Journalism Worth Dying For?.

April 14, 2011 – Started Reading
April 14, 2011 – Shelved
April 18, 2011 – Finished Reading
October 29, 2016 – Shelved as: reporting
October 29, 2016 – Shelved as: crime-and-trial

message 1: by Whitaker (last edited Apr 19, 2011 07:31AM) (new)

Whitaker Chris, I love that you said this: "Honestly, it's sad when the wedding of William and Kate gets more coverage then Iraq, Libiya, or Nigeria."

Ok, I hope no one blasts me here when I say this, but this reminds me of the time I was with a bunch of friends and I said that I thought it was deplorable that so much news time / space was being devoted to MJ's death. Uh. I'm just lucky I'M still alive.

Chris Actually, there is a good story about MJ's death. My students at the time, who liked MJ, thought the coverage was waaaay overboard, so you're not alone. The wedding drives me crazy. Who cares? Why does Dunkin Donuts have to have special donuts?

message 3: by Hazel (new)

Hazel Who is MJ? I fully agree about the Royal Wedding, but our economy meeds a boost, so anything that'll get you guys interested becomes important.

Thanks for this review, Chris. But my to-read list is already too long; thanks, in part, to you!

Chris Michael Jackson. And hey, if you live in Britian or are a commonwealth, I can understand the need to know.

message 5: by Hazel (new)

Hazel Oh, I may have heard of him. :-)

On a serious note, the little I've read about the Russian crime/politics interaction is chilling. John Le Carre's last book is about those links with finance. That's also on my list.