Christopher's Reviews > Greener Pastures

Greener Pastures by Michael Wehunt

Sep 29, 2016

bookshelves: autographed, owned

"Greener Pastures" is a thoroughly enjoyable debut collection for anyone interested in short form literary horror. Wehunt's writing has a confidence that you won't find in many debuts, and always manages to convincingly surprise the reader in a way that's necessary for any horror story to be successful. There are dashes of southern Gothic blended with the Aickmanesque and supernatural, and it's a combination that works. All the stories in the collection are well worth reading, but my two favorites are "October Film Haunt: Under the House" and "Bookends." The former is a spectacularly creepy work of cosmic horror. Regarding "Bookends," although it is substantially different in terms of plot, its tone and effect reminded me a great deal of one of my favorite Stephen King short stories, "All That You Love Will Be Carried Away", in its evocation of the quieter dread of an emotionally troubled past and present combined with the trembling induced by an uncertain future. Recommended for fans of: Damien Angelica Walters, Laird Barron, Nathan Ballingrud, Reggie Oliver, and many others in the genre. I look forward to reading more of his work.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Greener Pastures.

April 13, 2016 – Shelved