Diana Jorge-tulk's Reviews > What Remains: A Memoir of Fate, Friendship, and Love

What Remains by Carole Radziwill

I have a confession to make. I'm not proud of it. When I was in high school I watched soap opera's, and now as a adult I watch The Real Housewives "reality" series. I mean I watch them all. The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills, Atlanta, Orange County, New Jersey, and New York. My husband makes fun of me. Don't judge me. It's my escape, my get out of my head time. This is how I first heard of this book. The author of this book is on the New York one. I have never before read a book from a someone from a reality show, but Carole Radziwill was a award winning journalist and producer for ABC, with Peter Jennings and Diane Swayer to name a few. She was also married to Anthony Radziwill who was John F Kennedy Jr's cousin and best friends with his wife Carolyn Bessette who as we know both died in a plane crash. Her husband dies of cancer weeks later.
It is a beautiful, and heartbreaking memoir about love and friendship and loss. Most importantly the writing is wonderful. Carole Radziwill can write! Even though I love to read fiction, I also love non-fiction, such as autobiographies or memoirs,but it's rare to find ones that don't feel like they are just spitting out dates and places. I have read many memoirs and what separates the ok ones from the great ones is honesty. When you can feel the truth and sincerity of the story. Which this author does. This book could so easily have become a obnoxious book about the Kennedys and name dropping. Instead she manages to write so beautifully about them, but the story is about her. It's her story that just happens to include these famous people. It's one of the best written memoirs I have read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What Remains.

April 13, 2016 – Shelved
page 50
May 9, 2016 –
page 130
May 11, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Kelli (new) - added it

Kelli I will pick this up again after reading your review. You are not alone...I also watch both NY and BH and am a little bit embarrassed by this. I was also introduced to Carole through RHONY and have loved her from the beginning. I already knew of Anthony from the many Kennedy and family books I have read over the years and just picked up Lee Radziwill's new book. Can't wait to get back into this book. Thanks so much for your lovely review. (Also - Phaedra's youngest son is in my daughter's daycare class. I never mention the show though).

Diana Jorge-tulk Lol. I'm glad I'm not alone. Please read it, she's a great writer. Remember when Aviva accused Carole of having a ghost writer and the big fight. No wonder Carole went nuts, she is a fantastic writer. I'll have to check out Lee Radziwill books. I had no idea that she wrote some. I love Phaedra, and her boys are adorable. That's very interesting. Small world lol.

message 3: by Kelli (new) - added it

Kelli I will definitely read it. I think I have another of her books in my to read list as well. As well as Andy Cohen's. Why not if I am going down that path...should be entertaining at least.