Shannon's Reviews > Tuesday Nights in 1980

Tuesday Nights in 1980 by Molly Prentiss

liked it
bookshelves: 2016

I loved the novel at the start, but my focus on a particular aspect of the book started to shift my opinion about halfway through. One of the main characters has synesthesia, which allows a person to experience multiple senses in connection with one another (sounds as colors, hearing words as tastes, etc). I’m by no means an expert on synesthesia, but I am familiar and was frustrated by the seemingly unrealistic way it was used to move the novel’s plot. My reaction is somewhat irrational, since synesthesia is a phenomenon and can vary in ways that researchers still haven’t identified, but I’ve never heard of the condition disappearing and reappearing the way it does in the book, even when I looked for examples. As much as I still enjoyed the writing, it was very hard for me to feel engaged with the novel from that point on.

More at rivercityreading.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tuesday Nights in 1980.

April 13, 2016 – Started Reading
April 13, 2016 – Shelved
April 13, 2016 – Shelved as: 2016
April 15, 2016 –
April 17, 2016 –
April 17, 2016 –
April 17, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Karen (new) - added it

Karen White That's too bad about the synesthesia. I'm such a huge fan of books that employ it cuz it's fascinating to me. Have you read The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake?

Shannon I haven't, but it's one I've really wanted to read for a long time! You should still give this a shot if it interests you, I think this probably bothered me more than it would most readers.