tonya.'s Reviews > Requiem

Requiem by Lauren Oliver

liked it
bookshelves: 2013, dystopian-utopian-post-apocalyptic, arcs, ya, ruined-series

2.5 stars.

I'm not sure I know what to say about this one.

While I was only mildly impressed with Delirium, and found Lena to be a weak and indecisive character, I was incredibly impressed with her development in Pandemonium. Lena grew into a strong, determined character, with a cause far greater than somewhat ordinary teenage love.

In Requiem all the momentum built in Pandemonium was halted. Despite the all out war brewing between the Regulators and the Invalids, the main focus of the story was Lena's feelings for Alex and Julian--which changed every other chapter or so.

I found Requiem to be incredibly flat and boring, even with the many fighting scenes. They all seemed recycled, and took a backseat to Lena's dithering about the two boys.

And the ending? The nicest word I have for it is abrupt. All in all, a disappointing conclusion to a promising series.

(view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Requiem.

April 14, 2011 – Shelved
January 24, 2013 –
January 25, 2013 –
January 25, 2013 –
January 25, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)

Angela Interested to hear your thoughts on this one. In the end, I was really mixed on it - thrilled with some developments, a bit annoyed with some other items.

tonya. That seems to be everyone's feeling on it. We'll see.

Emily Elizabeth All of the negative reactions to this book are making me hesitant to start the series...

Angela Agreed.

Mairéad (is roaming the Undying Lands) Hmmm, I'm worried now. I've yet to read the last book...only read the first two. I still think the first book was the best...2nd book fell flat for me with all the jumping and disordanting. Crap, my spelling, I've gone blank lolz. Regardless, I will be finishing this series..... eventually .

Wendy Darling Uh oh! I still haven't read Panda yet, either.

tonya. I thought Delirium was just okay, but really loved Pandemonium. But this... I don't even know where to start. Flat, and surprisingly boring even with a good dose of action. And then end was like she just got tired of typing and decided to end it. Very disappointing.

Wendy Darling I was middling on Delirium too (3.5?) although I liked the writing. Good to know P is better, but how disappointing that it ends with a whimper!

Alexandra I LOVED Delirium & Pandemonium. Very very much. And this book...it was tough. I invested in these characters, fell in love with them & I wasn't satisfied with what became of them.

Jordan This makes me worried/upset. I've read all of Oliver's books and I think she's got a great voice. I'll give this a chance, but I guess I need to be okay with maybe being disappointed.

Tanya Oh no! I found Delirium to be a good read, but really became invested in the series after reading Pandemonium. This is scaring me though :\

tonya. Alexandra wrote: "I LOVED Delirium & Pandemonium. Very very much. And this book...it was tough. I invested in these characters, fell in love with them & I wasn't satisfied with what became of them."

Exactly! We get no resolution at all, except (view spoiler)

tonya. Jordan wrote: "This makes me worried/upset. I've read all of Oliver's books and I think she's got a great voice. I'll give this a chance, but I guess I need to be okay with maybe being disappointed."

She does have a wonderful style, but I will be wary of series from her in the future.

tonya. Tanya wrote: "Oh no! I found Delirium to be a good read, but really became invested in the series after reading Pandemonium. This is scaring me though :\"

I had the same experience. Delirium was okay, but I loved Pandemonium much more. Unfortunately, this was even less likable than Delirium. :(

Mairéad (is roaming the Undying Lands) Hrm, it seems that this is one of those times you just kind of go "did the author have a bad writing day or something?" O_o;;;;

Cinthia Oh, that's too bad :(

Pranshu I read the book and loved it but I can see where you're coming from.

message 18: by Wan (new)

Wan I just read this and I couldn't agree more. (view spoiler)

Megan Couldnt agree more. (About Requiem at least; I loved Delirum, and Pandemonium was pretty good but not as good as the first one in my opinion)

Alexandra EXACTLY. You took the words right out of my mouth, esp in your spoiler. How about 100 more pages about what happened with the war? Like maybe...how it ended?

Michaela Bergland I really love this series, but I agree this book was not what it could have been. I feel like it ended a little too abruptly as well. What happened with the Resistance? Do they win? What happens to the city afterwards? Do gets to live and who dies? What will happen to Julian now that Lena chose Alex? And where does Hana go? What's she going to do?
There were too many unanswered questions in this book. She could almost write another just to wrap up the war and let us see what happens afterwards.

Katie Yes, yes, and yes! I could have done with about half of the stuff from the first 300 pages and way more from the last 100.

Eliza Rapsodia Completely agreed.