Lindsay - Traveling Sister's Reviews > The Kindness of Strangers

The Kindness of Strangers by Katrina Kittle

bookshelves: favorites

5 stars! Wow - this was an intense, highly-emotional and uncomfortable book. I don't think it's possible for me to give this book the review it deserves. I had no idea what I was getting into when I picked it up. Kudos to the author, Katrina Kittle, for writing an extremely powerful book about such a devastating and disturbing topic - child sexual abuse. Pedophiles are expert manipulators who thrive on finding vulnerable children and they often lead completely "normal" lives. What an eye-opener! I am forever changed after reading this. I was completely glued to the pages of this story even though it was such a dark topic and was extremely difficult to read at times.

As a mother, this book makes me TERRIFIED to let my children out of my sight. It really makes me question who I would trust to watch my children. It's sad to say but people can be very deceiving and manipulative in this chaotic world. This story shows you just how easily this devastation could happen in any neighbourhood. Parents REALLY need to be aware! A big outtake from this book for me is to always have an open line of communication with your children, no matter how uncomfortable the discussions may be. Shying away from uncomfortable topics with your children can lead to secrets and embarrassment and sexual predators thrive on finding families that lack this open and encouraging environment.

The author told this story from multiple perspectives, some directly affected by the sexual abuse and others non-directly affected by it. All of the characters were extremely well-developed - I felt like I was inside their mind, feeling their feelings and thinking their thoughts. I was so absorbed in the story that I actually found myself holding my breath on pages where I couldn't read fast enough to find out what would happen next. I can't imagine the amount of research that would have went into writing this book. My heart broke OVER AND OVER AGAIN for the main victim, eleven year-old Jordan. I wanted to wrap my arms around him and protect him from his crazy, uncontrollable world, though I knew a warm embrace would be the last thing on earth that would ever comfort him. I loved Nate and Danny, brothers from Jordan's school, who got caught up in the middle of exposing the entire devastating situation. Sarah, Nate and Danny's mom, was my hero - the shining light throughout this story. She had such strength, kindness and determination to sort through and mend the situation to the best of her ability while mourning not only the loss of her husband, but the loss of her supposed best friend.

The predators in this book are the Barbie and Ken "perfect couple next door" with the big, beautiful house and all the luxuries anyone could wish for. They seem to have everything going for them and all the money to go along with it. They have an introvert son who goes to the local school. They volunteer as coaches, shuttle drivers, school trip leaders, etc. Everyone in the community knows them and loves them. Being friends with them is an honour. They absolutely LOVE children and have a backyard oasis that has the local kids wishing to be invited over. Sounds like a great place to bring your children, right? WRONG - VERY WRONG!!!!!!! I cannot even begin to touch on the details of the sexual abuse that went on in this book as it is so extremely upsetting and disturbing. This book is not for everyone. It is EXTREMELY unsettling, however, it is so well-written that it completely engulfs you into the devastating storyline making you hang on every single word. Obviously, this is not a feel-good book, but I highly recommend it for the well-written story and life lesson to parents. This is the first book I have read by Katrina Kittle and it certainly won't be my last!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Kindness of Strangers.

April 13, 2016 – Shelved
April 13, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
January 30, 2017 – Started Reading
January 30, 2017 –
page 116
29.0% "Wow.....this book is intense!"
January 31, 2017 –
page 196
February 1, 2017 –
page 277
February 3, 2017 – Finished Reading
February 7, 2017 – Shelved as: favorites

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)

Deanna how are you finding it, Lindsay?

Lindsay - Traveling Sister Deanna wrote: "how are you finding it, Lindsay?"

Just posted my review Deanna. Such a life changing book! I will never forget reading this. My first book by Katrina Kittle. I plan to read the rest of her books ASAP!

Norma * Traveling Sister Yeah 5* review, Lindsay! I thought this was a fabulous book too! Well said. Loved your review on this! :)

message 4: by PorshaJo (new)

PorshaJo Great review Lindsay!

Brenda - Traveling Sister Great review, Lindsay! I thought I read this one but after reading your review I am not sure now. I think I would of remembered a storyline like that. Glad it was 5 stars for you.

Deanna Lindsay wrote: "Deanna wrote: "how are you finding it, Lindsay?"

I honestly felt the same way about this book. I came across it about 10 years ago (if not more) and read it in one sitting. It has stayed with me ever since. It's one that can be REALLY hard to read at times but such an important book.

After reading this one I read all of her books and loved them all :)

So glad you felt the same way. You expressed your thoughts very well....EXCELLENT review!!

message 7: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn C. Great review! As a parent this kind of book is stomach turning but unfortunately one we need to be aware of.

message 8: by Anna (new)

Anna Great review, I read this several years ago, and still feel impacted by the story and it's horror. We live near Oakwood (Dayton area) and thereby recognized some of the places mentioned in the novel which made it even more real. Our library was lucky enough to have Katrina.Kittle speak at our library, it was clear that she did intensive research for this book.

Lindsay - Traveling Sister Anna wrote: "Great review, I read this several years ago, and still feel impacted by the story and it's horror. We live near Oakwood (Dayton area) and thereby recognized some of the places mentioned in the nove..."

Wow Anna! That must have been awesome to see Katrina Kittle at your library!! I feel the same as you - I think this book will stay with me for a long time. Thanks for the message! :)

Lindsay - Traveling Sister Marilyn wrote: "Great review! As a parent this kind of book is stomach turning but unfortunately one we need to be aware of."

Thanks Marilyn! I completely agree - parents need to be aware!!

Lindsay - Traveling Sister Norma wrote: "Yeah 5* review, Lindsay! I thought this was a fabulous book too! Well said. Loved your review on this! :)"

Thanks so much Norma!! :)

Lindsay - Traveling Sister PorshaJo wrote: "Great review Lindsay!"

Thank you PorshaJo!!

Lindsay - Traveling Sister Brenda wrote: "Great review, Lindsay! I thought I read this one but after reading your review I am not sure now. I think I would of remembered a storyline like that. Glad it was 5 stars for you."

Thanks Brenda! I highly recommend it (if you think you can handle the difficult topic). Norma rated it 5 stars too, so I think you'd enjoy it! :)

message 14: by Larry (new)

Larry H Great review, Lindsay! Not sure if the subject matter is for me, and I give you a lot of credit reading this as a mother!!

message 15: by Linda (new) - added it

Linda great review, I have put it on my tbr list. Thank you!

Lindsay - Traveling Sister Larry wrote: "Great review, Lindsay! Not sure if the subject matter is for me, and I give you a lot of credit reading this as a mother!!"

Thanks Larry!! As uncomfortable as it was to read, I think it's important for parents to be aware how easily this type of situation could happen.

Lindsay - Traveling Sister Linda wrote: "great review, I have put it on my tbr list. Thank you!"

Thank you Linda! It's an excellent book - I hope you enjoy it!

Lindsay - Traveling Sister Deanna wrote: "Lindsay wrote: "Deanna wrote: "how are you finding it, Lindsay?"

Thanks again Deanna! I can't believe I didn't read this book sooner. I do plan on reading more of her books. Do you have a suggestion on which one you would recommend next? What is your next favourite from Katrina Kittle?