ambsreads's Reviews > White Hot Kiss

White Hot Kiss by Jennifer L. Armentrout

liked it
bookshelves: annoying-male-leads, fantasy, romance, paranormal, young-adult

White Hot Kiss is the first in its series and a book I've started numerous times and out down. I decided this time I would triumph though and finish it. To my utter surprise I did. I kind of wish I hadn't, it wasn't the greatest book out (but I'll finish the series) and it had a series of issues I found. Most around the characters, both side and main, the dialogue, the love triangle, and the under developed world.

Characters

Layla was our sweet and innocent character. Almost every action of every character was done to prove just how innocent and virginal she was, including her best friend. She's constantly blushing, flushing, turning red, whatever. Eventually she got better, but the fact that there was a lot of focus on her virginity grew tiresome. The fact she was unable to kiss anyone as well, apart from Roth, got boring as well. She was a bit of a kickass character in the end, but still.

Zayne was the "nice guy". But I hated him. I just didn't like his attitude and his superior attitude for what he was. He made promises, but then proceeded not to uphold them. Zayne was a character I wouldn't classify as nice, he is a character I would like to stab 28 times in the chest actually. He was all around crappy and I won't waste my type taking about the arrogant prick.

Roth was the "bad boy". I wouldn't go that far though since he was the only decent character. The only definition that would place him under the definition of a bad boy was that he was demon that was also the Crown Prince of hell. Honestly, he was the only one who told Layla the truth and wasn't constantly lying. If she doesn't end up with him I'll be pissed and punch someone.

Plot

Was subpar, it wasn't anything I hadn't read before. It followed the classic storyline of a JLA book and did get a bit cliche in some parts. Apart from that, I did enjoy the book despite the fact I felt a tad bit of a Sweet Evil trilogy vibe.

Writing

It was classic JLA writing. I loved it and I hated it. The dialogue in some parts was cringe worthy and I couldn't see a 17 year old saying it. However, it flowed and I love just love JLA either way.

Overall

I would give this book a 3.5 overall. It was good. Kept me interested, but wasn't anything I hadn't seen before.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read White Hot Kiss.

April 12, 2016 – Shelved
April 12, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
June 29, 2016 –
page 0
0.0% "Could this cover be more cheesy??"
June 29, 2016 –
10.0% "Ahhh yes, yet another female protagonist who is short #tallgirlsunite"
June 30, 2016 – Started Reading
June 30, 2016 –
36.0% "Couldn't tell you my feelings on this even if I tried. I'm just confused??"
June 30, 2016 –
50.0% "“Roth snorted. “That one is Fury. The white one is Nitro and the black one is named Thor.” omg my dogs name is Thor didn't expect to see the name for another animal in any book!"
July 1, 2016 – Finished Reading
July 18, 2016 – Shelved as: annoying-male-leads
July 18, 2016 – Shelved as: fantasy
July 18, 2016 – Shelved as: romance
July 18, 2016 – Shelved as: paranormal
July 18, 2016 – Shelved as: young-adult

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)

message 1: by Kainat (new) - added it

Kainat 《HUFFLEPUFF & PROUD》 Thank you for this honest review. I've heard nothing but great things about this book. I actually didn't like Sweet Evil, and JLA's bad blood either. I really enjoyed Obsidian, though. I'm thinking about giving her books another try.

ambsreads Kainat Ijaz wrote: "Thank you for this honest review. I've heard nothing but great things about this book. I actually didn't like Sweet Evil, and JLA's bad blood either. I really enjoyed Obsidian, though. I'm thinking..."

I'm glad you enjoyed it! I hated Sweet Evil, purely was in love with the world, because of the ridifulous of the main character and all the pressure on virginity. If you give this a go I hope you enjoy it! If you don't enjoy it I'm sure you may get a good laugh from it. :)

Ashley I think this is JLA's weakest series that I've read. The Lux series was fun, but redundant after awhile, but they kept me entertained. This trilogy dragged for me! The felt like carbon copies of the Lux characters, and by the end of that series I had had enough of them:P so reading this one soon after made it highly unenjoyable, but it was readable. I've read 14? JLA books, and I've come to the conclusion that I love JLA as a realistic fiction writer, not a PR writer. I really enjoyed the Wait for You series, it was corny and repetitive, but they were fun to read, and I love the storylines in them! I think the Problem with Forever is JLA's best book because she writes a story that needs to be heard, and the characters are completely different from the macho, sexy, "golden" guy that JLA writes in every single one of her books. The characters were flawed and while the guys were handsome, they didn't rely on their attractiveness to carry them through the story. So if you haven't already, I would definitely recommend picking it up, but maybe you won't end up liking it, I know it dragged at some parts, but everyone has their opinions! Nice review by the way:)

ambsreads Ashley wrote: "I think this is JLA's weakest series that I've read. The Lux series was fun, but redundant after awhile, but they kept me entertained. This trilogy dragged for me! The felt like carbon copies of th..."

This series took me forever to get into, so I may agree with you saying its JLA's weakest series. The Lux series was good until about book three, in my opinion, where it just got completely out of hand (I'm pretty sure I rated it highly, but thinking back to the last few books in the series -- they became a mess). I read The Lux series earlier this year so I'm not feeling the carbon copiness, but I do see a few similarities between the series! I definitely agree with you about JLA being better suited for realistic fiction Wait for You is one of my favourite series from just how easy they are to read! The Problem with Forever is sitting in my TBR pile so I'll definitely get along to it faster now you've recommended it! Thank you! :)

Ashley Amber wrote: "Ashley wrote: "I think this is JLA's weakest series that I've read. The Lux series was fun, but redundant after awhile, but they kept me entertained. This trilogy dragged for me! The felt like carb..."

I definitely agree about the Lux series! I think after Daemon and Katy got together, the tension disappeared and it all went blah. Same about Wait for You, it's one of my favorite NA series, I loved Cam/Avery, but I really loved the ones with Calla? Callie? & Jax, and the one with Steph/Nick they were just so cute!! And yes, TPF is so good! I know it's a standalone, but JLA wrote amazing side characters, and when she writes developed side characters, I.e. Jase, Roxy, Steph, etc. She tends to give them full books! So I hope that ends up happening!!

ambsreads Ashley wrote: "Amber wrote: "Ashley wrote: "I think this is JLA's weakest series that I've read. The Lux series was fun, but redundant after awhile, but they kept me entertained. This trilogy dragged for me! The ..."

I'm so excited for the newest book in the Wait For You series to be released, I'm low key hoping for a book about Katie too! (I think that was her name -- the hilarious stripper?) but I'm quite excited to read TPF then!!

Ashley Amber wrote: "Ashley wrote: "Amber wrote: "Ashley wrote: "I think this is JLA's weakest series that I've read. The Lux series was fun, but redundant after awhile, but they kept me entertained. This trilogy dragg..."

Me too!! I liked the boxing guy and the girl in Steph's book, although I wish it was Katie and the boxer guy, but oh well:P