C.G. Drews's Reviews > Summer of Salt

Summer of Salt by Katrina Leno

bookshelves: 4-star, magical-fantasy, read-2018, young-adult

I always expect a beautifully magical time when it comes to a Leno book. 😍And actually excuse me while I sit here all starry-eyed, but this was EXACTLY as beautiful and magical as I hoped. (Although I think my favourite Leno book is always going to be Everything All at Once because BOOKS. And ANXIETY. Basically the most relatable thing ever.)

This one is slightly more magicy than the others, with a family living on an island who actually do downright witchy things like float and turn into birds and make potions. But all in such a chill way that you kind of can look at it without looking at it. Or that's what the other islanders do. I absolutely loooved the world. And it was all The Scorpio Races vibes mixed with every Anna-Marie McLemore and I just !!! Whimsical but also with a really hard-hitting underlying story to make your face kind of water.

SMOL LIST OF THINGS TO EXPECT:
• an island that's mostly quiet until birdwatching season
• a 300 year old bird that everyone loves
• twin sisters who are nothing alike
• Mary can float
• Georgie (narrator) is unmagical
• Like so many solidly fantastic female friendships
• the absolute CUTEST EVER QUEER GIRLS ROMANCE
• quite a lot of cake
• whimsical but also cutely quirky writing
• some DEEP BAD THINGS
• a lot of coffee
• FEATHERS

And Georgie and Prue were kind of the cutest thing. Prue is visiting the island with her birdwatching brother and Georgie (obviously) lives there and her family runs the inn. But George is basically like:
Georgie: this girl Prue is kind of cute
Georgie: but like what's the point she's leaving and I'm going to college soon
Georgie: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Prue: hi
George: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was so soft™ and sweet™ and I just loved them and how their friendship and feelings developed. Ah!

My actual only negatives is...the birds. Lmao hear me out, I just actually don't love birds. (I was attacked by a kookaburra when I was a smol bean ok. I'm traumatised. It stole my lunch and swiped my face.) And then when everyone is literally SO FREAKING INVESTED in this bird (and later (view spoiler)) I was just sitting here with a fake smile going: right then. But the whole story and the aesthetic of the island was my FAV so this didn't detract. I just didn't really care??

And it does have a pretty darker undertone at the end. Which I thought was addressed and handled so well. But omg.

Anyway, basically a Katrina Leno book will NOT disappoint! I was totally swept up in the magic of this, and the aesthetic of the quaint and weird island, and people shedding feathers and eating cake and mysteries threatening to tear their world apart. SO GOOD.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Summer of Salt.

April 12, 2016 – Shelved
April 12, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
March 14, 2018 – Started Reading
March 14, 2018 –
22.0% "This is giving me Scorpio Races vibes. 😍"
March 14, 2018 – Shelved as: 4-star
March 14, 2018 – Shelved as: magical-fantasy
March 14, 2018 – Shelved as: read-2018
March 14, 2018 – Shelved as: young-adult
March 14, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

Dana Al-Basha دانة الباشا beautiful title!

C.G. Drews It's a beautiful book!

message 3: by Rachel (new)

Rachel McKitterick This sounds really good. Sorry to hear about your bird experience tho! That would have freaked me out big time too!

elizabeth • paper ghosts Whimsical + dark undertones kind of sounds like my ideal book heaven. It needs to hurry up and be summer so I can read this in the sunshine by a large body of water. :D

C.G. Drews @Rachel: Ah haha yes and I was only like 7 so I've hated birds ever since. 😂

@Elizabeth: IT IS SO GOOD. Definitely one to be watching out for in June!

Katie  Hanna The MC's last name is Fernweh???????

THAT'S LIKE MY FAVORITE GERMAN WORD EVAH AND I CAN'T

message 7: by Els (new)

Els @Katie YES I KNEW WE WERE FRIENDS FOR A REASON I’ve literally written essays on the word!

Katie  Hanna Seneca wrote: "@Katie YES I KNEW WE WERE FRIENDS FOR A REASON I’ve literally written essays on the word!"

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK YES. *tackle-hugs you* It's just . . . just . . . ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh. So beautiful.