Rachel Brand's Reviews > Rainbow Valley

Rainbow Valley by L.M. Montgomery

Feb 22, 2008

bookshelves: children, lucy-maud-montgomery, 2009, own, classics
Read in June, 2009

I really enjoyed this, but it doesn't seem to fit in with the rest of the series properly. Although all of the other 'Anne' books have secondary characters who have their own sub-plots, Anne was basically a sub-plot in this book! The Meredith family were very fun to read about, as all of Anne's characters are, but I wish she'd written this book as a novel on its own, not part of the 'Anne' series, as I thought this book would have been about Anne and Gilbert's children growing up. However, wonderful writing as usual and it was less flowery and descriptive, which shows how Montgomery's writing improved over the years. She was obviously affected by WWI, as a few of her comments are quite poignant. I want to get started on 'Rilla of Ingleside' immediately but I also want to make the series last so I'll keep it for my holiday. The whole Methodist/Presbytarian thing got a bit annoying after a while, but it was humorous in places. I never knew there was any sort of competition between those two denominations. As usual, Montgomery's characters came alive - Mary Vance annoyed me when she got too big for her boots, and Norman Douglas had a real voice to him and made me wonder who Montgomery had based him on. I hope that John and Rosemary make a cameo appearance in the next book as I'd like to know how they get along in their marriage! Overall, typical L. M. Montgomery stories which make me wish I was born a hundred years earlier so that I could play in my own Rainbow Valley and cook fish over a fire :) 8/10

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rainbow Valley.

06/01/2009 page 159
62.11% "Enjoying this but there's very little about Anne's family in it!"