zelle (fragilemyths)'s Reviews > The Night Circus

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

19862820

bookshelves: books-i-own

3.5 stars.

Where do I begin describing this book?! The writing is so incredibly lush and descriptive. I could really envision everything from the monochromatic shades of black and white to the rich, jewel-toned colours of dresses and parties. I was drawn into the book from the very beginning because of the writing. It does an amazing job of creating the mysterious yet enchanting atmosphere, and it gives off the awestruck vibe that the reveurs feel upon seeing the circus.

I loved the characters, especially the twins, Poppet and Widget. I also liked the "Midnight Dinners," and every time the food and desserts were described, I wanted to hungrily reach in and just snatch all those delectable treats out of the book! Oh, and fortunately there is NO DREADED LOVE TRIANGLE! Just Celia and Marco. The scene between them with Celia's disappearing shawl has to be one of my favourite parts of this book.

I only had a couple of issues with The Night Circus--1). The first hundred or so pages were really slow, probably because no one really knew what was going on, and that includes the characters. And 2). I wasn't a fan of the random second person scenes that were occasionally sprinkled in. It disrupts the storyline and breaks the fourth wall.

Overall, The Night Circus is a beautifully written book that I'd definitely recommend if you believe in magic and enjoy a handful of clever little kittens, an elegant setting, and a one of a kind clock.

A lot of people have said that The Night Circus is really similar to The Crown's Game by Evelyn Skye. But I'd like to point out that The Night Circus was published in 2011 and The Crown's Game was published in 2016. Just wanted to get that little fact out there. :-)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Night Circus.

April 12, 2016 – Shelved
April 12, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
November 23, 2016 – Shelved as: books-i-own
December 6, 2016 – Started Reading
December 6, 2016 –
page 3
0.75% "the 'anticipation' is real! so incredibly excited to start this <3 I've heard amazing things about the night circus."
December 6, 2016 –
page 37
December 7, 2016 –
page 80
20.0% "The writing is so beautiful! It makes the book a lot more mysterious and magical, much like the circus itself."
December 9, 2016 –