Kendra Keating's Reviews > It's Only the Himalayas

It's Only the Himalayas by S. Bedford

U 50x66

A must read for all young women, travelers, those with wanderlust, and those who have a pulse.

Right off the bat I connected with S. Bedford – an aimless Canadian twenty-something wanting more out of life. Bedford’s descriptive and whimsical prose paints a familiar picture. Her need for self-discovery is something we’ve all felt at one point in our lives, but she actually had the courage to pursue it. While the first half of the book is full of delightful tales of trekking and local tradition, the second half is what really sold me on this book. Bedford comes across as a young woman exploring the world and her limits all at once. Anyone who is able to write a chapter called “Ninja Pussy Blow Darts and Other Misadventures” is OK by me.

One of my favorite things about Bedford’s writing was her lack of sugar coating. So much of travel writing focus’ on nothing but the magical wonders of the world. Don’t get me wrong, I like to hear about cherry blossoms and clown fish as much as the next gal, but it's just as important to write about the bed bugs and altitude sickness to provide context.

Bedford made me proud to have a Canadian writer representing our nation overseas, and she uses a delightful sprinkling of Canadian references (Tim Horton’s, our nation’s nipple freezing winters, and curling) throughout the book. Not only is Bedford one tough bitch, but she is also great representation of Canadian travelers. I hope to read more from S. Bedford in the future!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read It's Only the Himalayas.

April 1, 2016 – Started Reading