Fyrdrakken's Reviews > Beat to Quarters

Beat to Quarters by C.S. Forester

U 50x66
Feb 22, 2008

liked it

Having chosen to read the Hornblower series in chronological order rather than in publication order, I was primed to notice the little discrepancies in backstory created by the series having been begun in the middle of his career. It made for a jarring beginning to the book, in that references to his first command and early career happen in the first few pages and did not concur with the books I'd just finished reading, and I had to do a little mental fumbling to reconcile the references to his first lieutenant as barely knowing him with the preceding books in which the same lieutenant served with and under him and had been best man at his wedding. (Which is a minor quibble in continuity terms, but if they didn't want me to care about Lt. Bush's backstory they shouldn't have cast him as Paul McGann in the movies. Anyway.) Pity I didn't have the next few books in the series readily available, though, because despite the little continuity discrepancies I very much wanted to sweep right into the next installment.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beat to Quarters.