Bridget's Reviews > The Bell Jar

The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath

Apr 13, 2011

Read from May 06 to 19, 2011

I am really happy I finally read this, although it was tough for me to get through because I found myself only able to read a chapter or two at a time. It makes me sad that this seems like such a cry for help from Sylvia Plath, who killed herself so soon after writing this. (3 years, I believe, but I could be wrong).

I am surprised this wasn't in my 501-Must-Read Books list because it seems like such an interesting and unique book, especially for it's time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bell Jar.

05/09/2011 page 55
show 2 hidden updates…

Erin this is a good one. given all the books you've read, its funny some of the classic ones you haven't.

Bridget I know. I constantly find classics that almost all of my GR friends have read that I haven't. I think part of it is that I went to Catholic school for junior high where they limit the kinds of books you read, and then had some REALLY weird professors in high school for English. I mean none of you guys have read The Fan Man, which is a book I read in High School.

Erin Makes sense. Right, I've never even heard of that book. At least reading some of these as an adult, maybe you'll remember them better. To be honest, all I remember about the Bell Jar is that the chick goes insane, I really liked it, and Sylvia Plath was a nutter that killed herself in an oven.

Bridget So basically, a beach read?

Erin based on your beach reading list so far, totally.

Heather haha. B, I also had a weird HS curriculum and haven't read this either so let me know when you're going to tackle it and I'll read it too.

Bridget Sounds good. I couldn't find it on Kindle, so it will either be a book swap or library find, most likely.

Heather very weird that it would not be on Kindle. Yeah, this is a good one for the library or whatever.

Bridget I find that a decent amount. Some of the older "classics" aren't on Kindle. I'm not sure if it's just hasn't been done YET because there hasn't been a huge demand and they wouldn't be big moneymakers. I always click the "Tell the publisher you want this on Kindle" link, in case it takes like 100 clicks or something before they'll suggest it.

Heather hmm. I'd agree that they wouldn't be big money-makers so that may be it. That is annoying though.

Heather Sounds depressing but good. I will try to get to it soon so we can discuss.