Lisa Vegan's Reviews > The Rabbit Problem

The Rabbit Problem by Emily Gravett

Apr 13, 2011

bookshelves: childrens, fiction, picture-books, reviewed
Recommended for: adults & older children, 8 & up; fans of pop up books; bunny lovers
Read on April 24, 2011

Whoa! This book is so busy it nearly gave me a headache. I didn’t think it would be my bunch of carrots (variation of my cup of tea) but I found aspects of it very appealing.

The illustrations, including the amazing pop up on the last page, are wonderful.

There is so much on every page, including flaps and booklets, and its advanced vocabulary and contents are geared to older kids and adults, in my opinion, although younger children might enjoy aspects of the book, particularly the pictures, though very young children should be kept away from this book as it would be so easy to destroy.

The story, told page by page as an annual calendar, is clever and amusing, and there is even a hole on every page, as there are with wall calendars so they can be hung. The science/nature lesson is fun too.

As I read, I thought this was going to be a 3 star or even 2 star book for me, but I ended up being charmed. It’s a unique concept and I appreciated that. 3 ½ stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rabbit Problem.

message 1: by Manybooks (new) - added it

Manybooks I think I need to get this, not only because of your wonderful review, but also because of Fibonacci's field (remember one of the main characters in Crusade in Jeans was Leonardo Fibonacci); and I love pop-ups.

Lisa Vegan Yes, that part was fascinating and yes, I loved that character in Crusade in Jeans. But, don't expect too much as far as the science goes, though it certainly shows it. ;-)

message 3: by Manybooks (new) - added it

Manybooks Lisa wrote: "Yes, that part was fascinating and yes, I loved that character in Crusade in Jeans. But, don't expect too much as far as the science goes, though it certainly shows it. ;-)"

I wouldn't want there to be too much math anyhow, numbers and math are not my thing at all :-) But this does look fascinating.

Lisa Vegan It's cute.

Kathryn Haha! Cute review. For some reason, Gravett is never my "bunch of carrots" either. I always feel that I should love her work but it just never succeeds for me. I think I'll pass on this one though the cover is very cute.

Lisa Vegan Kathryn, Even though I gave it so many stars, I definitely wouldn't push this one.

Kathryn Lisa wrote: "Kathryn, Even though I gave it so many stars, I definitely wouldn't push this one."

Good to know. I'm sure it's a four-star book, but I doubt I would enjoy it very much and I am SO behind on my picture book reading these days :-/

message 8: by Lisa (last edited Apr 28, 2011 04:55PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Vegan This one is reallllllyyyyyy busy. I'm not sure if Izzy will like it or not, but it's worth bringing home from the library to see.

Well, we liked Orange Pear Apple Bear, didn't we?!

Or were you not wild about even that one, Chandra?

Lisa Vegan Chandra wrote: "Oh I'd forgotten that one. I do LOVE that one! Izzy loves them all though!"

Well, it's good Izzy has her own opinion. This one is different though from the others I've seen. It's possible she won't like it, but she might.

message 10: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Vegan That's great that she has passions to pursue and extra cool when she does it via books. Cute and fun. Impressive to watch them grow and develop!

Kathryn Orangutans are awesome! Yay, Izzy ;-)

And, I forgot about Orange Pear Apple Bear--I liked that one, too!