Charlotte's Reviews > So Brave, Young and Handsome

So Brave, Young and Handsome by Leif Enger

Apr 13, 2011

Read in April, 2011

Really, it's a 3 1/2, but to be optimistic I chose to round up to the four-star option. This book isn't as good as Enger's Peace Like a River. The prose was superb, but the story was lackluster. About one-hit-wonder author Monte Beckett and his unlikely friendship with former train robber Glendon Hale, the story reads with a western timber. For a large portion of the book I was frustrated with Beckett's pliable character. He's a one-time bestselling author who tries unsuccessfully to repeat his achievement and who then goes off on a adventure with a former criminal to help him find his abandoned wife. I was often frustrated by Beckett's weakness and seeming inability to change.

I was surprisingly proven wrong in my assumptions about Beckett, however. This whole time I was expecting an outward change in Beckett, a change in his actions and personality. Really, though, this story is more about a man who comes to accept himself for who he already is. So many stories are about dramatic outward change, and I appreciated a story about more subtle, inward acceptance.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read So Brave, Young and Handsome.

message 1: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle It's kind of hard for me to imagine Enger writing anything as good as Peace Like a River.