David Gillis's Reviews > The Angel's Command

The Angel's Command by Brian Jacques

M 50x66
Apr 13, 2011

As a child, this was my favorite book. It's clear that Brian Jacques was my favorite author as a child, but what I loved about the Flying Dutchman series that he wrote is that it took us out of the fable-styled storytelling, and grounded us more in the real world with fantasy elements thrown in. Ben and Ned are wonderful protagonists, with Ben sounding like an ordinary boy with a huge destiny as an angel, and Ned is hilarious as the faithful canine companion. The side characters in The Flying Dutchman are also what tipped this installment in its favor. Karayna and Dominic are splendid characters, with Karayna becoming the role model for most of my female characters. She's powerful, intelligent, and proud, but she's also down-to-earth, fun-loving, and willing to do anything for those she cares about. Dominic was like reading myself in the book. Jacques had a way of writing that can suck you into the story, and I frequently find myself rushing back to his stories from my childhood, re-reading the tales, and then trying to figure out how to manage such a task. If the reader isn't immersed, then the author isn't doing his/her job.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Angel's Command.