Anissa's Reviews > Missing, Presumed

Missing, Presumed by Susie Steiner

bookshelves: 2016, contemporary-fiction, arcs-analog-netgalley-edelweiss-etc, mystery-suspense-crime, british-fiction-uk-ireland
Recommended to Anissa by: Netgalley
Recommended for: fans of detective series

This book was the sort that made me wish I had someone to chat to who was reading along & say "Can you believe that?!" There were moments when I actually recoiled in surprise (view spoiler) and then there were the moments where I issued shocked laughter (view spoiler).

When I went into this I thought it was going to be mostly about the mystery of Edie's disappearance. It turned out that this read more like a first in a detective series. The case was followed but what shone through more importantly was the lives of the detectives and how those threads wove together in other ways (some case related & others not). They mystery, in its resolution, was a bit of a let down. I was glad to know the answers but the answers irritated me (as in "That's it? Seriously?!"). The only thing that pulled me back on my rage was realizing that I could completely see a case resolution going just that way in real life. It's not anything that will shock or amaze most readers but it did have all its threads neatly tied. The characters, Manon, Davy especially and to a lesser extent, Harriet, were where the best things about this book were hung. Of the Hinds, Miriam was the best rendered and I wish there was more Rollo. Fly was a very good addition and I liked him so much that I was actually sad when I realized I'd reached the end of the book.

If this is the first book in a series, I will be looking forward to reading the next. Definitely recommended and I'll keep a lookout for future books by the author. This is definitely a very good debut.

I received a free copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for my honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Missing, Presumed.

April 11, 2016 – Shelved