☆ Todd's Reviews > Br0th3rly

Br0th3rly by Alina Popescu

it was ok

This story, as written, really didn't work for me on quite a few levels.

The first half of the book was mostly Tristan, the younger brother, bemoaning the fact that he was a deviant pervert for being attracted to his older brother, Trevor, beginning at age 10.

So for chapter after chapter after chapter, Tristan mentally beat himself up over his intense, all-consuming love for his brother. Ad nauseam. He just kept droning on and on about it, until I wanted to just yell, "Dead horse, DEAD HORSE!" and yank the battery out of my eReader.

The story worked much better in the second half, once Tristan ran away from his older brother. No way could he handle his big brother finally getting serious enough with a guy to invite him over to meet the parents, so he runs away. Again.

Only this time, Trevor followed him back to the city a few weeks after, where Tristan has been stewing in his own juices over his unresolvable, never-ending brotherly lurve.

Then, as these books always tend to do, everything magically works out and we got an HEA, which would have been enjoyable and great, BUT...

1.) A lot of the enjoyment was tainted for me by Tristan's tendency to be a huge drama queen. Even when he got what he's always desired, he was still looking a gift horse in the mouth. He's 22, not 14, but it seemed as though every little thing had to be High Drama.

2.) Many times, I found myself thinking that some portions of the dialogue sounded like something out of a soap opera. I wasn't really a fan of that. Below are a few examples:
“Taste me, Trist. You’ll see I’m as real as I can be.”

“Look at me, Trist. Watch me come undone for you.”

“Easy, Trist.”
“I can’t, I simply can’t. I need more!”

“I think it’s high time you were introduced to Br0th3rly.”

He shrugged and pulled me into his lap. “That can wait. I need to get reintroduced to your naked body.”
So when all was said and done, this one averaged out at around 2.5 stars for me, although other reviewers did seem to enjoy this story more.

----------------------------------------------

My copy of the book was provided by the publisher in exchange for a fair, unbiased review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Br0th3rly.

April 11, 2016 – Shelved
April 11, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
April 12, 2016 – Started Reading
April 15, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)

message 1: by Jewel (new)

Jewel Oh no!

☆ Todd Jewel wrote: "Oh no!"

It wasn't awful, but I didn't find it overly enjoyable.

message 3: by Karen (new) - added it

Karen Ouch, I looked at this one a while ago and decided it wasn't for me and I think I'm good with that decision. Especially since on of these guys has the same names as my son's partner. That alone makes me want to skip the sexy times.

message 4: by Jewel (new)

Jewel ☆ Todd wrote: "Jewel wrote: "Oh no!"

It wasn't awful, but I didn't find it overly enjoyable."

message 5: by Jewel (new)

Jewel Karen wrote: "Ouch, I looked at this one a while ago and decided it wasn't for me and I think I'm good with that decision. Especially since on of these guys has the same names as my son's partner. That alone mak..."

I can see that...

☆ Todd Jewel wrote: "I still need to read my part of our deal...am planning to starting it this weekend."

Cool. Dreamspinner still hasn't sent my request, so I'm out of ARC's, but going to finally read "Feral," since finding out it has 2 of the characters from "The Tinder Chronicles," which I totally loved.

Let me know how it goes with the MMM story. : )

message 7: by Jewel (last edited Apr 15, 2016 08:24PM) (new)

Jewel I liked Feral.

And I will definitely let you know about the MMM book...