Stacia (the 2010 club)'s Reviews > Shadow's Seduction

Shadow's Seduction by Kresley Cole

bookshelves: adult, angels-nephilim-and-demons, lgbtq, male-pov, paranormal-romance, romantica-or-erotica, vampires
Read 2 times. Last read April 24, 2017.

She did that.
Lothaire threw his hands up as if all the world had gone mad. "Now Mirceo's mate is a full-blooded demon? With horns! Lizvetta, there's only so much I can STAND!"

"Wait," Cas said, "you don't care that I'm male?"

Lothaire blinked those creepy eyes. "Why the fuck would I care if you're male?"

Dare I say that Kresley Cole might have written some of her hottest scenes in this book? I'm not sure why she left some of the plot behind in favor of going erotica, but I'm not complaining.

I'm not saying that there wasn't a story at all, but the story definitely took a backseat to the sexual chemistry more than it has in other books.

And I'm still not complaining.

Did I say already that Shadow's Seduction was hot? Yes? Okay. Just checking.

The dedicated m/m readers might want to know if this book can be read as a stand-alone. I would say yes, with a hesitation. Of all of the IAD books, this one probably has the least connection to the IAD world as a connected whole, making it the easiest to follow along with if you haven't read any others. However, I don't feel like this book will be as fully appreciated without seeing some of Cas' torment in the first Dacians book Shadow's Claim. The events that happen in the previous book help the reader to understand why Cas took the life path that he did. So take that as you will. You can read and appreciate this book without having read any others, but you might miss a few nuances that can lend the reader sympathy for Cas.

Ms. Cole deviated a bit from her usual series formula for Shadow's Seduction. There was more of an open-ending for the main characters than usual (yes, there is still a HEA). As well, the 'adventures' for the characters weren't really of note because those were mostly a setup for another character. So there's that.

Not gonna lie...I was a bit thrown off by seeing a 7 foot demon being called sweetheart. But I guess this could mean that I might need to get over some of my own outdated male stereotypes.

One of my favorite things about Cole as a writer is her ability to keep her stories and characters fresh. It might have been a small disappointment, but this was one of the least original offerings from her to date, even with her taking a turn into m/m for the first time. Maybe she was nervous trying out this angle, so she stuck to other things that were familiar. Cas read to me as a slightly improved version of Cadeon (looks, race and personality). Cade's story was not a favorite of mine, so I was glad to see that Cas was at least an improvement. As well, the phrasing of Mirceo's was very similar to Lothaire's with stilted phrases similar to Glorious male! being thrown about quite often in his thoughts. But I was able to overlook some of the similarities because I'm guessing that Cole was trying to focus on writing a relationship that was new to her. And she put forth a good first effort. I hope to see more of these relationships in the future.

Mirceo could have used some time to mature (he should've gone on his own walkabout in the other dimension like Cas did in order to grow up a bit), but I'm probably nitpicking here. He was a good guy overall.

I never thought I'd be rating a KC book based solely on the steamy scenes. Guess there's a first time for everything.

I would share some of those scenes with you, but how could I spoil all of that deliciousness when the reader should experience it for themselves, right?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadow's Seduction.

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)

Paloma Do you think this book has to be read before the newest IAD book comes out tomorrow?

Stacia (the 2010 club) I wouldn't think so, since the stories aren't connected at all. I think this book will connect to the book that comes after the newest IAD, which won't be published for a while.

It looks like you rated the book (on your comment), so I'm guessing that you ended up reading it?

Paloma Stacia (the 2010 club) wrote: "I wouldn't think so, since the stories aren't connected at all. I think this book will connect to the book that comes after the newest IAD, which won't be published for a while.

It looks like you..."

Yea..I really hated it..sigh..I dont even wanna pick up wicked abyss anymore idk

Stacia (the 2010 club) It happens. We all have those books. I hated (in fact, hated might be too kind of a word) the most recent BDB book. Usually, I'm the one who dislikes the books that everyone else likes. What didn't end up working for you with this book?

Paloma Stacia (the 2010 club) wrote: "It happens. We all have those books. I hated (in fact, hated might be too kind of a word) the most recent BDB book. Usually, I'm the one who dislikes the books that everyone else likes. What didn't..."

it seemed more like a novella and it didn't help that its been 2 years since I read anything in this world I forgot who everyone was the different worlds everything. And it didn't feel like she wrote it it was so bad. and I'm not a fan of m/m either

Stacia (the 2010 club) I do agree that this book seemed to be more of novella length (I checked more than once to see if it was a .5 number instead of a full installment in the series) and I also agree that it didn't read much like KC's usual style. I got the impression that she was dipping her toe into m/m and was catering to a more erotic reading audience, so I detached myself from the IAD world in order to read this. But I could totally see why the book wouldn't work for everyone.

I'm a few chapters in to the newest book and it seems to be reading more like traditional IAD, but I'm struggling with it because I don't remember either of the main characters being tied to any part of IAD in the past. There was a scene where Sabine and Lanthe showed up, and Lanthe gave the male lead Sian some grief, so I'm wondering if there's a clue about Sian in Lanthe's book, which is the ONLY book I skipped in a recent series re-read because I didn't have time to get to it before the new book released. It would figure.

Paloma I know sian is from sweet ruin I think? Or that's what I heard at least I don't remember I'm in such a deep book funk I can't focus on books keep starting and stopping so I don't think I should start the newest iad

Stacia (the 2010 club) Well that explains why I can't remember. Now I'm unsure if I should keep reading this book or go back and skim read Sweet Ruin first. I feel like I should know who Sian is and I just can't place him.

Book funks are the worst. I spent the better part of last year not wanting to read, so I just stopped reading altogether for a while, then eased back in with some re-reads of favorite books instead of trying to focus on getting into something new. I'm just now finally coming out of that funk. I still haven't picked up anything new though. I might try to pick up with some series in progress that I haven't gone back to.

Paloma Stacia (the 2010 club) wrote: "Well that explains why I can't remember. Now I'm unsure if I should keep reading this book or go back and skim read Sweet Ruin first. I feel like I should know who Sian is and I just can't place hi..."

I think you should just go for it and read this one lol I totally need to read someones review before I dive in

message 10: by Aisling Zena (new)

Aisling Zena Terrific review Stacia! :)

Stacia (the 2010 club) Paloma *Rhage's Shellan* wrote: "Stacia (the 2010 club) wrote: "Well that explains why I can't remember. Now I'm unsure if I should keep reading this book or go back and skim read Sweet Ruin first. I feel like I should know who Si..."

I'm trying. I'm struggling to get very far into the book. :(