C.G. Drews's Reviews > The Lost & Found

The Lost & Found by Katrina Leno

Apr 10, 2016

bookshelves: 5-star, contemporary, magical-fantasy, read-2016, young-adult, mental-illness
Recommended to C.G. by: Maraia

This book is a precious little creature, built for anxious people with internet friendships. AKA: ME. The author probably totally sat down and thought, "Lemme write a book specifically for Cait." BLESS HER. <3 And loooook at me rating a contemporary book 5-stars when I am such a stingy star rater AND usually a fantasy person. OH THE STARS HAVE ALIGNED IN GLORY TODAY.

Well, it's mostly contemporary. Be ye warned: this is actually magical realism. It's not going to punch you in the face? But there are magical aspects, just so you know. (I didn't? And it kind of threw me, and not in a good way. But I got over it. #BraveMe.)

OKAY WE'RE GOING LIST-TASTIC. BECAUSE THERE IS NO OTHER WAY.

L O V E S:

• Firstly it's dual narrated and BOTH narrators have very distinct voices and I was invested in both their lives. (Wut wizardry is this brilliance.) Frances lives with her grandparents because her parents are pretty crazy. And she's wondering if a famous movie star is actually her father. Louis has severe PTSD and anxiety after his twin sister fell out of a window and lost both her legs. And he's a tennis champ. And he's not sure if he should move off to college. BECAUSE ANXIETY.

I probably loved Louis slightly more. Because he was just so freaking relatable! Plus I loved his relationship with his twin, Willa. TEHY ARE THE BESTEST SIBLINGS IN THE WOOOORLD. Willa's really matter-of-fact about her disability and omg she says some AWESOME things that made me weep with love and cheer over this book. Basically Willa = awesome. Although she had her faults and annoying moments too which just made her so real.
"And instead of teaching boys to respect girls, we tell girls not to wear tank tops or low-cut shirts. And instead of disciplining the shitheads who called me stumpy, we ask handicapped people to cover up their handicap. To pretend they aren't handicapped. To pretend they're whole. [...] Because there's nothing to be ashamed about. We're all just bodies, right? We're all just fucking bodies trying to move around and work stuff out on our own."

BLESS HER.

Frances was also wonderful. But I didn't connect to her very much? Like I admired her? But I didn't understand her. She had a pretty traumatic childhood and she has trust issues...but ahhhh I loved her relationship with her grandparents. And with her cousin, Arrow.

OH and diversity? WE GOT IT HERE. Louis (and Willa) are half-Indian; Willa has no legs; Arrow (Frances's adopted cousin) is Vietnamese. And bring in mental illness.

• Also internet friendships! PORTRAYED IN A REALISTIC HEALTHY WAY. Sure they wondered if each other might be an axe murderer. But they went about their meet up soooo well. LIKE, GAH. IT WAS SO REALISTIC. And sweet. And amazing. I've never met an internet friend, but afjdkslad people you find on the internet are amazing.

So let's talk about the magical realism part? So both Frances and Louis are always LOSING stuff. It just disappears. At first I got really excited because omg I lose stuff all the time tooooo. But it was explained with a sort of magical twist. So. eh. I have to admit I wish it wasn't. Only because anxiety + losing things = real. And this made it less real and I was a little detached after that.

• OH BUT THIS QUOTE:
I wondered if I could possibly move so far away from home when even normal things like sleeping and washing dishes were sometimes hard for me.

Omgggg, Louis. I RELATE. I RELATE AND I COULD CRY. Life is really hard when you have anxiety, okay? And people don't understand. But this book so accurately and perfectly conveyed it.

• And this quote:
Ugh I couldn't trust my brain to be positive for more than a few seconds at a time.

• And also they ate delicious food and for that I am eternally grateful. Do you know what makes a book go from "good" to "MARVELLOUS AND BRILLIANT"?? Food representation. It's legit. Ask all the professional critiques.
I scooped up a small mountain of guacamole on a chip and ate it. It put all previous guacamole to shame. All the guacamole of my lifetime was a pale imitation of this treasure in front of me."

I want some.

• AND THEN THIS QUOTE. (I swear I'll stop quote spamming you in a second.)
"I don't really feel like an adult."
"Me neither," she said. "I think sometimes people -- grown ups -- they put all this pressure on us to figure out every single step of our lives, every single connected dot, but in reality people are figuring things out as they go."

Excellent point, you genius. Please, can we quit adulting and just try to figure out how to live a good life and find happiness? Yes? okay, let's do this.

So basically when a book resonates with you a lot, you have NO CHOICE but to love it. And that's what happened here. I think it was absolutely busting with really intelligent smart comments. And it never felt forced? Like I didn't feel like the book was trying address ALL the problematic issues of today. It just fit in so naturally. And the writing was perfection. It was so fast and easy to read and yet it was complex and poignant. (And funny. There are PLENTY of funny moments.)

• And the ending?! LIKE IT WAS REALLY GOOD BUT NOT PERFECT BUT GOOD AND THAT'S ALL I CAN SAY.

• This book means a lot to me.

• So I shall hug it and slap it in your face and squall "READ IT" several times and you should probably just read it, okay?

You're one of the best things to come out of the internet.

*** NOTE: All quotes are taken from an ARC and should not be reused as they're subject to change. Or whatever is the official way to say that.***

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lost & Found.

April 10, 2016 – Started Reading
April 10, 2016 – Shelved
April 10, 2016 –
49.0% "This book basically exists for we anxious humans with internet friends.\n I LIKE."
April 12, 2016 – Shelved as: 5-star
April 12, 2016 – Shelved as: contemporary
April 12, 2016 – Shelved as: magical-fantasy
April 12, 2016 – Shelved as: read-2016
April 12, 2016 – Shelved as: young-adult
April 12, 2016 – Finished Reading
June 19, 2016 – Shelved as: mental-illness

message 1: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura Ahhh! So looking forward to this one now. As always a great review!!!

C.G. Drews IT IS SO GOOD, LAURA. I HOPE YOU GET TO READ IT.

message 3: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Lou AIAIAI I NEED THIS IN MY LIFE!!!!!

message 4: by Miriam (new) - added it

Miriam Joy Looking forward to this. I remember meeting up with Charley for the first time after years of talking online (I was so worried she'd be a creep that I'd tested her identity several times before we reached that point; since then I've met up with Internet friends alone in central London whose names I didn't even know.)

message 5: by Krissy (new)

Krissy Aleman OH MY GOSH I LIVE LIKE AN HOUR FROM AUSTIN I HAVE TO READ THIS NOW

message 6: by Emma (new) - added it

Emma Great review, Cait! I'll have to add this to my ever growing to-read shelf.

message 7: by Andrea (new) - added it

Andrea Marvelous review Cait......List-tastic!!

message 8: by Katherine (new) - added it

Katherine Rebekah This book looks wonderful! I mean, you gave it five stars so it must have done something right.

message 9: by Ashley (new)

Ashley G. This sounds so awesome! That guacamole description though. XD It made me think of a Princess Bride description of a kiss.

❄️ Propertea Of Frostea ❄️ Bitter SnoBerry ❄ You would like Because You'll Never Meet Me by Leah Thomas. :)

This fish likes to read Love the review Cait, consider it added to my TBR!

message 12: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @ThisFish: OMG GOOD.