John Yingling's Reviews > Saving Alex: When I Was Fifteen I Told My Mormon Parents I Was Gay, and That's When My Nightmare Began

Saving Alex by Alex Cooper

19018952

Maybe I'm just being naïve, or uninformed, but this book stunned me, in that even in recent years people still believe that gays can be untrained (for lack of a better term) from their "lifestyle". What Alex Cooper went through is disgusting and shameful. And it's sad that she had to go through the legal system just to have what she should have been entitled to all along: the freedom to live her life as a gay person. I admire the people who helped her along the way, and am angered by her parents' attitude towards her. I just wished so much I could have had a daughter like her to tell her that I loved her and that she is a very cool person, and those feelings of mine would never change. I admire Alex too for her honesty about her outbursts and loss of temper at times. She is a person who is a real role model, and a courageous person who fought the good fight to have her freedom. This book was definitely a worthwhile read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Saving Alex.

April 10, 2016 – Started Reading