Katierogers's Reviews > Sarah's Key

Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay

F 50x66
Apr 12, 2011

Read in May, 2011

This is probably the best story I ever read of a Jewish person in the Holocaust. Who knew that Jews were rounded up by the French police in 1942 and put in concentration camps outside Paris? It was sickening how the French villages joined in and disgusting how so many modern day French didn't want the story told.

Because I believe that in order to prevent something like this from happening again we have to keep reminding ourselves how close we are to another roundup of a group of people who are falsely demonized. In America the illegal immigrants come to mind. Around 2005 our House of Representatives passed a bill that would make HELPING an illegal immigrant a FELONY. So, if you saw a child with brown skin and black hair bleeding to death on the pavement, you'd better walk over him if you don't want to end up in prison. Luckily the Senate did not pass this bill so it didn't become law but this is how close we are to something like this happening again. And we have to stop it while we still have the power to do so; constant vigilance!

Steven Spielberg's project to interview Holocaust survivors is a heroic endeavor and this book although fiction will play its part in keeping the memory of this horror alive. The second half of the book wasn't as powerful as the first, but the first half was strong enough to make up for that, I thought.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sarah's Key.