Reynita Maharani ★ The Night Reader ★'s Reviews > A Gathering of Shadows

A Gathering of Shadows by V.E. Schwab

I think I'll read it again because I enjoyed the first book and something happened in the second book that shocked me and made me stop reading it. But maybe I was exaggerating that problem. So I'll read it again on 2017.

REVIEW TO COME TODAY.

** THIS REVIEW CONTAINS MILD SPOILER **

"I do not know why you two are circling each other like stars. it is not my cosmic dance. But I do know that you come asking after one another, when only a few strides and a handful of stairs divide you."

the first time I read this book was a year ago ( I guess it was a year ago ) and I didn't finish it because of something (view spoiler) but then a month ago I decided to read it again because I liked the first book so much ( here's my review about the first book) and maybe I could bear that scene because I've read quite many book since I stopped reading this book. So maybe I could tolerate that scene.

so here are the reasons why I didn't like this book :

The Story

in my opinion the story was so boriiiiiiiiiiiing especially the Element Games. it bored me so much ( it is not a spoiler because the synopsis tells you about this ). I don't know why I didn't like the Element Games and I just didn't care about it so every time the main characters talked about it, which was very often and I was like
description

I mean, the first book was so great and the action scenes were so AAAAAMZING and I had high expectation about this book but I didn't get what I wanted. The main characters talked so much and I desperately needed of action scenes. I NEED FIGHT SCENES. JUST ANYTHING EXCEPT TALKING. TALKING AND TALKING and to be honest, I skimmed reading it and I rarely do that. I just do that when the book is boring and I want to read it quickly so it can be over and I just wanted to finish reading it.

The Pacing

I love slow pacing books because that way I can get to know the characters but this book is SO SLOW and it bored me so much. I made myself to continue reading it and even when I reached page 297, the Element Games still hadn't started and I began skimmed it because I just couldn't wait anymore and I just wanted to finish it as fast as possible. So I don't know what page the Element Games is started and we suppose to feel relax and happy when we read, don't we? and mostly I felt like this when I read this book

description

I just couldn't be patient. I just couldn't.

The Characters

I didn't like Lila, she was really annoying. she would do everything just to get what she wanted. I didn't have a problem if she didn't hurt anybody to get what she wanted. I don't think I felt like that toward Lila when I read the first book and how could Kell like a girl like her?! honestly, he is too good for Lila. ugh.

and now about Rhy and Alucard. I don't have problem with them and Rhy is a funny guy.

"Fine," said Rhy. "I'm going out. And when I'm robbed and left in an alley, you can tell our parents what happened. Don't forget to include the part where you stayed home instead of ensuring my safety."

and also this

Rhy leaned over. "looks like I'm not the one who needs protecting after all. You know ..." He sipped his wine. "it would be an interesting match...."
Kell kept his smile fixed. "I will stab you with this pin."
"You would suffer."
"it would be worth-" He was cut off by the approach of Lord Sol-in-Ar.

I just love it when they bicker xD

The Romance

The romance was so boring. I kept wanting them to be together again but it took them such a long time to get together again. they got together again when I lost my interest in reading this book. ( I don't think it's a spoiler because if you've read the first book then you know that Lila left Kell and Kell saw she was leaving and she was gone to her own her)
there was a time when my heart pounded so hard because I was so nervous when they were about to meet but they didn't meet instantly and I got bored and I lost my interest.
(view spoiler)

Will I Read The Next Book?

I don't know. I don't think I'll read the next book because I'm not curious how the story ends and I don't really care about it anymore.
I only gave this book 3 stars because I quite enjoyed reading it at the beginning and I used to like Kell so much and there was also a scene that I really liked.

description

thank you for reading and liking this review guys. I hope you all have a great day! ❤❤❤
description

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Gathering of Shadows.

April 9, 2016 – Shelved
April 10, 2016 –
0.0% "I'll read this book tomorrow, I'm too tired and sleepy to read it. *yawns*"
April 11, 2016 –
5.0% "She a pirate!!"
April 12, 2016 –
11.0% "I miss you, Kell (╯︵╰,)"
April 13, 2016 –
16.0% "I hate myself for not being able to dislike him."
April 15, 2016 –
24.0% "Glad to know he wouldn't do that again."
April 16, 2016 –
37.0% "Kamerov Loste. What a nice name. (•⊙ω⊙•)"
April 17, 2016 –
40.0% "* Spoiler!!!* What the f*ck!!! Seriously?!?! Love triangle?!?? I've spent days to read this series!!! I liked the first book so much!! Then there is "this" in the second book?!?! Wow!! I'm so freaking mad right now!"
April 17, 2016 – Shelved as: lost-interest
December 19, 2016 – Shelved as: already-bought-but-haven-t-read
December 19, 2016 – Shelved as: already-bought-and-will-read-soon
January 17, 2017 –
page 0
January 21, 2017 –
page 47
9.16% ""Funny, I thought the favor was allowing you to remain on my ship, despite the fact you're a liar, a thief, and a murderer. But please, do go on."

OUCH."
January 23, 2017 –
page 90
17.54% "I can't wait to see them together again. *sighs*"
January 28, 2017 –
page 218
42.5% "" Hals!" shouted a voice from the deck above.
Land.

FINALLY!"
January 28, 2017 –
page 218
42.5% ""Hals!" shouted a voice from the deck above.
Land.

FINALLY!"
January 29, 2017 –
page 227
44.25% "Kell kept his smile fixed. "I will stab you with this pin."
"You would suffer."
"It would be worth-" He was cut off by the approach of Lord Sol-in-Ar.

I love it when they bicker. So cute and funny. xD"
February 1, 2017 –
page 301
58.67% "I can't believe I'm saying this but this is boring. I need more action scenes. (ง'̀-'́)ง"
Started Reading
February 5, 2017 – Shelved as: romance-books
February 5, 2017 – Shelved as: slow-burn-romance
February 5, 2017 – Shelved as: ya-books
February 5, 2017 – Shelved as: too-much-talking-need-more-action

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)

Nastassja I liked the first book more too, I don't know what happened, maybe it was Lila who annoyed me a lot, but i wasn't 100% satisfied with it too :/

Reynita Maharani ★ The Night Reader ★ @ Nastassja

Nastassja Reynita wrote: "@ Nastassja
Yeah, me too! I really really enjoyed the first book but the second book was boring. Most of the time it bored me and there was a scene that really annoyed me. *sighs*"

Only baby Kell and Rhy with Alucard saved this book for me, well, and the fact I was buddy-reading it, haha. But yeahm definitely weaker than the first one!

L A i N E Y Second book syndrome? Or tournament type book syndrome??

Reynita Maharani ★ The Night Reader ★ @ oh! lainey
I don't know but I didn't enjoy the Element Games. It was boring :(

Reynita Maharani ★ The Night Reader ★ @ Nastassja
I liked Rhy too! He's funny and about Kell, I liked him a lot but I don't know why I don't seem care about him anymore :(

message 7: by cindy (new)

cindy It's a shame you didn't enjoy this one as much :(

Reynita Maharani ★ The Night Reader ★ cindy wrote: "It's a shame you didn't enjoy this one as much :(
Fingers crossed I'll still love it (when I finally get to it like 7628349 years later, I hate school *sigh*)"

I feel you! school always gets in the way of my reading habit and school has been crazy lately because we'll be facing our final examinations in April. But I only just have to bear high school's life for 2 months and then after that I can say ''Good Bye High School!!'' and I hope you'll love this book once you start reading it :)

message 9: by cindy (new)

cindy @Reyni
Omg, good luck for your final exams!! And thanks ^^

Reynita Maharani ★ The Night Reader ★ @Cindy
Thank you very much and I hope you can read books as soon as possible :D

Reynita Maharani ★ The Night Reader ★ @ Maddie