Jennifer Rayment's Reviews > Open

Open by Andre Agassi

One of the most fascinating biographies I have ever read. Agassi's raw honesty and humour make it a truly compelling read. I found myself fascinated and wanting to learn more about Tennis, which I won't lie had no interest in. Many of the tennis scenes had me on the edge of my seat. I was impressed with his trust and love for those involved in his career and his constant mentions of how he couldn't do anything without them. His generosity and strength of character are inspiring. Sad that his fathers childhood coloured him and he tried to make his son fulfill his dreams. And I admire Andre's forgiveness and acceptance of his dad's faults. Enjoyed the humour and the constant mentions of "Of course it was Pete." This was one of the recommendation from Captain Awesome, who is my non-fiction guru. I trust him implicitly when it comes to non fiction. He has not disappointed me yet.

Favorite Quote's Passages

"All this is lost on Pete, however. From the opening, he’s yawning, fidgeting, checking his watch. He doesn’t like the theater, and he doesn’t get actors since hes never pretended anything in his life. In the quasi-darkness of the footlights, I smile at his discomfort. Somehow, forcing him to sit through Grease feels more satisfying than beating him in Key Biscayne”

“I find it surreal, then perfectly normal. I'm struck by how fast the surreal becomes the norm. I marvel at how unexciting it is to be famous, how mundane famous people are. They're confused, uncertain, insecure, and often hate what they do. It's something we always hear - like that old adage that money can't buy happiness-but we never believe it until we see it ourselves."
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Open.

Finished Reading