Cait's Reviews > Karma

Karma by Cathy Ostlere

bookshelves: young-adult, books-i-own, reviews, received-for-review

KARMA is a beautifully written book about self-discovery, and what it means to love.

Not my usual genre of YA book, I was blown away by KARMA – the writing, the story, description and characters all drew me in and kept me captive for the length of the book (and it’s not short!). Maya is an Indian-Canadian teenage girl. The story is written through verse, and is Maya’s diary. Through her, we learn about her family, culture, and life in a small prairie town. Despite the cultural differences, and some family problems, Maya is very much like any other Canadian teenager. It is only after she and her father travel to India to deliver her mother’s ashes to the final resting place that Maya’s life changes drastically, and her emotions, turmoil and uncertainty are reflected perfectly in the short poems that make up the story of KARMA.

An aspect I really liked is that for the middle section of the book, the reader is given the point of view of Sandeep, the boy that takes care of Maya while she is in India, lost without her father and mute from the horror she has seen after the assassination of the Indian Prime Minister. It is immediately apparent when the voice of the story changes, and I grew to like Sandeep very quickly – he’s blunt, observative, kind and fun. He looked after Maya to the best of his ability, and even runs away from home to help her find her father in New Delhi. Sandeep and Maya grow to have a deep connection, and the ending of the novel left me angry on their behalf, but hopeful that things would all work out in the long run.

The short poetry that makes up KARMA’s story is written beautifully, and really lets the reader into the details of Maya’s and Sandeep’s lives. Cathy Ostlere’s writing is very emotional and descriptive – something that I think helps the reader connect to Maya and Sandeep so well. For being a writing style and genre I don’t read very often, I loved KARMA to pieces.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Karma.

April 12, 2011 – Started Reading
April 12, 2011 – Shelved
April 18, 2011 – Shelved as: young-adult
April 18, 2011 – Shelved as: books-i-own
April 28, 2011 – Finished Reading
August 8, 2011 – Shelved as: reviews
February 20, 2012 – Shelved as: received-for-review

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Hira (new) - added it

Hira Wow, I wanted to read this book but totally did not expect it to have the kind of depth that your review has revealed this book to contain. Thank you for this amazing review, and for sharing your thoughts with us :)