Mary Shelley Reid's Reviews > Rebel Belle

Rebel Belle by Rachel Hawkins

did not like it

Overall, I thought Rebel Belle was a a creative take on a familiar tale. The homecoming queen, under drastic circumstances, changes her attitude and falls for the totally hipster guy that she's "hated" since birth. However, this story puts in a supernatural twist.

As far as characters go, I liked that the somewhat mysterious background of Harper was revealed slowly at first, but it seemed that when it finally was revealed, I kind of got slapped in the face with it and had to go back and reread it, just to make sure I'd read it right. That really is a minor complaint, though, as it didn't too terribly affect the overall plot.

I also liked that the author was able to include David's wardrobe. Sometimes, physical descriptions can muddy-up the writing, but the author wrote it in such a way that it helped me understand David's character better.

The narration of the novel was exemplary, and I admired that the voice in which it was written so accurately portrayed the attitude of the protagonist. While it was written well enough to keep me reading, at the conclusion of the novel, I didn't really feel like it needed a sequel.

Rebel Belle was, overall, a fun, lightweight read, and I am not at all embarrassed to have spent the majority of my Saturday afternoon reading it. I give it two stars for wonderful characters and a creative twist on the life of your everyday Southern Belle.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rebel Belle.

April 9, 2016 – Started Reading