Flora Smith's Reviews > Scarlet

Scarlet by Stephen R. Lawhead

Apr 12, 2011

bookshelves: historical-fiction

This is a continuation of Hood (King Raven, #1) by Stephen R. Lawhead The story is told from the point of view of William Scatlock that becomes known as Will Scarlet as he is being held in prison. We learn about how he comes to be with Rhi Bran y Hud and his life among the outlaws and his love for Noin. Bran is still fighting for his lands and the rights of his people when he learns of a plot against the king and believes he can use the information to regain what is his. As Will is telling his story we read alternating chapters with the Ffreinc. We see how the people have been abused and oppressed by the usurpers.

This is definitely a story that has a little bit of everything: laughter, tears, tyranny and rebellion, love and loss. The ending certainly left us knowing that there is more to come and I am looking forward to reading Tuck (King Raven, #3) by Stephen R. Lawhead Stephen R. Lawhead has done an awesome job retelling the Robin Hood story, its definitely one that I have enjoyed so far. I would recommend this to anyone that enjoys historical fiction or the retelling of fairytales as it has certainly been brought to life.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scarlet.

April 12, 2011 – Shelved