Brittany's Reviews > The Survivors

liked it
bookshelves: young-adult, read-in-2011
Read on May 12, 2011

*Spoiler Alert* ..sorta..

The influence of, uh, every single major/popular work of Young Adult fantasy fiction is glaringly obvious (with some True Blood in there for good measure). But putting aside the fact that there's no such thing as an original storyline anymore, it really wasn't a bad read. Definitely worth the $2.99 on Kindle and day it took to read it, anyway.

Consistency errors aside, I really like the core historical aspect of the story -- that the Survivors are some of the original accused during the Salem Witch Craze and their descendants. The bulk of the book is a LOT of non-information and then they're in Russia and BOOM here's EVERYTHING all at once to the point that I had to read it twice to sort of straighten it out. There's also not a lot of action, both in the Stephenie-Meyer-chaste-vampires sense and in the blood-gore-and-war sense. Maybe next book, eh Amanda?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Survivors.

05/12/2011 page 44
05/12/2011
25.0% "I'm either going to really love or really hate this book. But I don't know if I can handle all the name-dropping expensive designers (a problem I had with the Blue Bloods books), and the consistency errors. At one point she says her "family" is "seventy-eight members across three generations" and then a chapter and a half later she says that "all 164 would swarm the center of our village." So which is it?"
05/12/2011
70.0% "So far we've got label-dropping like Blue Bloods, an exploratory trip to Russia like Vampire Academy, a reference directly to Twilight as well as a handsome immortal boyfriend with "sterling silver lips" (cause polished marble was already taken.) Predictable & obvious? Yes. But I still don't hate it."
show 1 hidden update…